Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small leak in my steering gear box. Planing to replace with rebuilt gear box, but wondering if anyone out there ever replaced seals themselves. What can of worms would I be opening.

Vendor
I have a small leak in my steering gear box. Planing to replace with rebuilt gear box, but wondering if anyone out there ever replaced seals themselves. What can of worms would I be opening.
I had a leaking box and I swapped it for one from West Texas Off-road because I like the Red Neck Ram set up. If I let my Jeep sit for too long and then turn the wheel I tear the seal and it starts leaking. This has happened a few times now and this time I'm rebuilding it myself. I bought the Seal Kit and watched the youtube videos. I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, but if I can do everything else I can do this.

I'll let you know how it goes!

-Ryan

Registered
I had this issue and just bought a rebuilt box, which is still working flawlessly. I read that usually when you go to replace the seals you just end up damaging more things and have to get a new box anyways. If you haven't checked it out too much it's also possible to get the steering box out of a Durango which is a little heavier duty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts