Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaking from the top seal on the gear box. Looking at replacing the seal (cheaper) or replacing with a Napa 1998 Durango non snow plow.

With the 33s am I better off upgrading to the Durango and biting the almighty $$$ bullet?:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Leaking from the top seal on the gear box. Looking at replacing the seal (cheaper) or replacing with a Napa 1998 Durango non snow plow.

With the 33s am I better off upgrading to the Durango and biting the almighty $$$ bullet?:confused:
cant u just try to get a cheap one at a junkyard? pull it off a durango there? i wanted to do that durango teering box swap but i heard that 03-06 tj have mercedes gearbox and wont align

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Definitely upgrade if you're gonna spend the money. There is a risk pulling it from a junkyard you could get a bad one… Just keep that in mind.
This...

its only like 200 bucks for a new box as well. Worth it for sure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
First check your power steering hose. If it is weeping it will make the steering box wet and appear to be leaking. If the hose is wet and covered with grime, replace it first. That might solve your problem.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Don't bother with junkyard. I bought one for $65 from a junk yard and replaced with a brand new one in a matter of months.

You're just replacing a worn part with a worn part....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a Durango 1998 non snow plow gear box.

Blackhawk36, I did look up at it (the line) and it is clean and not greasy and it very much seems to be seeping from the seal.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Im thinking about doing the durango box swap on my 99, does anyone know if my poison spyder steering skid plate will still cover the durango box?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got er done! Little pounding with a hammer and it came apart. Next question, is there some sort of dust cover / seal where the pitman attaches? The Jeep original looked more sealed so just want to make sure I am not missing something. Btw, local hometown Napa guy was very helpful and "clued me in" that a Jeep Cherokee has the same core value as a Dodge Durango gear box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have my dad's 1500 Ram up in the air now. No dust cover where the pitman arm attaches so should be good to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts