Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts on this site about the proper front steering configuration and proper geometry, specifically about the DPA. So, if you all would be so kind, please take a look at these pics and let me know if mine look OK. I am mostly interested in if I need the DPA and if I have a track bar drop mount. Not having many issues, just trying to tweak a few things.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I know I have a DPA, I am asking that with the position of the track bar, should I have the DPA or a standard arm?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
You definitely need to get rid of that DPA and install the OE Pitman arm. The driver's side track bar mount and Pitman arm must match so far as their drop goes. Both must be either dropped or both must be un-dropped. Your driver's side track bar mount is standard/non-dropped so your Pitman arm should not be dropped either.

That kind of a mismatch will produce bump steer which is when the steering is forced left/right as the front axle moves up/down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,I went to my local jeep shop to pick up a pitman arm, after chatting with the guys there and showing the pics, he said that sine I have an adjustable track bar, I am fine with the DPA. Now not sure what to do.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Look, you want your trackbar and draglink to be parallel. Look at the bolts and draw lines from there. If you remove the DPA, does it help you get more parallel or worse?

Id help you draw lines on photoshop to show you but I need a good picture of the frontend that clearly shows both ends of the trackbar and draglink from the front.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
That your track bar's length is adjustable has absolutely nothing (!) to do with needing or not needing a dropped Pitman arm. No bearing whatsoever. I explained when a DPA is needed in my above post and notice no mention was made of an adjustable trackbar's presence having any effect on that need.

Here's a good illustration showing how the geometry is checked to insure the planes of movement for the drag link and track bar are parallel to each other.

The lines that need to be parallel for proper steering geometry are imaginary... the below red and yellow lines drawn between their respective mounting points... we don't care if the bars themselves look parallel, they typically won't look parallel even when their operating planes are parallel as they need to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts