Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a car with rack-and-pinion steering, I can jack up the front and turn the wheels left-right by hand, which will also turn the steering wheel.

With my Wrangler, If I jack up the front I cannot in any way turn the wheels left-right by hand, no matter how hard I try. Should I be able to? My issue is that I'm experiencing weird steering binding. It's almost as if I had no power steering at all when turning, whether in movement or not. I ordered a new power steering pump, but is there anything else I should be looking at as well?

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
On a car with rack-and-pinion steering, I can jack up the front and turn the wheels left-right by hand, which will also turn the steering wheel.

With my Wrangler, If I jack up the front I cannot in any way turn the wheels left-right by hand, no matter how hard I try. Should I be able to? My issue is that I'm experiencing weird steering binding. It's almost as if I had no power steering at all when turning, whether in movement or not. I ordered a new power steering pump, but is there anything else I should be looking at as well?
Can you turn the wheels by the steering wheel? If not, put the key in and turn it one click so the steering lock is not engaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but it still does the weird binding even with wheels off the ground. Doesn't seem to have steering lock, it's a manual, but I did it with ignition to on too.

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
Yes, but it still does the weird binding even with wheels off the ground. Doesn't seem to have steering lock, it's a manual, but I did it with ignition to on too.
Gotcha.

You should be able to turn the wheels while both are off the ground. Have you tried do it by the steering wheel? Should be easy, if not, you definitely have something going on.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
try removing the steering stabilizer. might be messed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mother.
F*cking.
PB Blaster!

Before starting to unbolt stuff, I noticed the u-joint on the lower steering shaft was rusted compared to the upper one. Sprayed a liberal amount of PB Blaster on it, did 3-4 end-to-end turns of the steering wheel and everything is fixed. Soooo smooth now! Not sure why it started to bind all of a sudden.

Should I be looking at replacing the lower steering shaft (u-joint is not sold separately)?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The same thing happened on my Dodge Dakota Quadcab. I couldn’t even get the lower steering shaft section off the steering rack. Luckily I was replacing the rack too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts