Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search this but since I have no idea what I am searching I wasn't able to find anything.

My jeep is under warranty and I would rather know what the problem is so I can tell them where to look when I take it in. SHOULD be easier for them to fix I would think.

Anyway, when I drive my jeep and hit a small bump or simply just driving anywhere... I feel a slight popping in the steering ever so often. I can only feel it when I drive and it feels like it is coming from the steering column behind the brake pedal...? It is hard to explain... just a popping feel in the steering wheel/column as I am driving.
I think I read about this issue in posts before but I cannot find them. It was like a joint that is loose or something that is not lubed properly.. or both? :confused::confused:

Any help would be really great.

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Possibly the trackbar?

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be the last time I will bump this. If I don't get a response... I'll just have to take her to the dealer and hope the idiots can understand what i'm trying to explain as the problem. Ha ha ha!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If it's under warranty take it in, just don't tell them you went offroading (if you did). It could be just about anything from a bushing, track bar etc.

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't but I would rather be smart and not tell them I have removed the sway bar links in the past. Not that I did anything wrong or crazy... just don't want them to find a reason to blame me.
I'm not sure what the trackbar is... but it sounds simple.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Its not the trackbar or the swaybar links, its the joint in the steering shaft. If you find the steering shaft amd squirt some lithium greese under that black sleeve and the popping will quit for a little while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may be having close to the same problem. I have a 2010 JKU with 4700 miles. If I turn the wheel right and then back left, the front end will slightly hang and then pop to varying degrees. I can be moving or sitting still. I have been under the front and the problem appears to be around the front passenger side wheel. Been to the dealership once but the front end guy wasn't there so I will be going back.

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WEll I am taking her in this thursday. The poping has got worse and now there is leaking all around the trackbar and dripping small puddles under it when it is parked.
Any idea why the trackbar would fault like that? And the puddle is not oil... it is like a hydraulic fluid.

Good thing I have a warranty still left on the thing. Save me some $$ Ha ha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts