Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, so i got a 4 inch pro comp lift on my TJ (what it had when i bought it), and my steering is loose and horrible basically haha. I was wondering if anyone knew what i can do to fix it, or if anyone else has/had this same problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2000 tj w/4" lift
The steering was horrible, was like it was floating
My daughter drove it once and did not want to drive it again
My brother-inlaw who owns a mechanic shop said he would not drive it over 50 mph
I searched on the tj forum and they said to get rid of the dropped pitman arm and replace with a factory one. I ordered 1 from jeep, we installed it and the difference in steering was huge
Now my daughter is everyone is wanting to drive it

THANKS to guys on here, as it is now fun to drive, before it was work on trying to keep it on the road

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hey everybody, so i got a 4 inch pro comp lift on my TJ (what it had when i bought it), and my steering is loose and horrible basically haha. I was wondering if anyone knew what i can do to fix it, or if anyone else has/had this same problem
If you have a dropped pitman arm, go back to stock. The check your other components that are related to steering (track bar, TRE's, ball joints). If you still have issues, then check tire balance and wear and CA bushings.

You can't just look at these things. You have to move them around and look for play. Do a dry steering test to check your track bar bushings and TRE's.

To check your ball joints, jack up your front end from the axle. Some advise to push/pull from the 12 and 6 position. If there is movement, it would indicate bad ball joints.

I found this answer from Mr. Blaine on another forum though which is very interesting:

"There are almost zero lower balljoints in use after a few thousand miles that do not have some up and down play. Up and down play in the lowers will also translate into up and down in the uppers because the upper pins float up and down inside their races.

If you jack it up and lever the tire up and down and replace the balljoints because there is some up and down play, you're wasting time and parts.

OTOH, if you have the slightest side to side or front to back play in the uppers, replace them because they will cause DW."

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quick question for you guys regarding a similar subject. I know I need new bushings for my track bar as I'm seeing lots of play on the frame end and I also need new bushings for my drag link, particularly where it connects to the pitman arm....the bushing here is literally falling apart in pieces...
Can I just get what ever rubber bushings they have at NAPA?? the only reason I'm even asking is because I have a 4 in lift on 33's...does that make a difference?
First time replacing bushings so sorry for the noob question.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Napa is fine. I'd replace all the tie rod ends and once so you won't be chasing what your problem is.
Haha thanks for being nice. I just figured out they aren't bushings on the drag link, they're tie rods.
Called in to NAPA and they have the parts I need and even said they could press the my track bar bushing in for me as I don't have a press that will get the job done. I'm thinking I'm going to ask them if they can put new control arm bushings in as well. It beats buying a press anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts