Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 97 TJ Sahara with 35 inch tires on it. The jeep has a 2 inch body lift and 3.5 inch suspension lift. I'm looking for a new steering kit. I am stuck between 2 kits does anyone know what kit would be best? Other kits are welcome as well!
1. Currie CE-9701 Currectlync tierod/drag link system.
2. Rough Country HD steering kit SKU 10604.
I appreciate all an any insight!

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
theres really no comparison between the two, Currie all day. the only other option that is worth the money is a ZJ tie rod, but currie is much more stout, esp for 35's.

IIRC the RC kit induces a lot of tie-rod roll and bump steer

·
Registered
905 Posts
The currie would be my choice 10 out of 10 times.

Son has the same setup on his TJ that you have lift/tire size wise and it just flat out works great/no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,822 Posts
Rough Country is a joke, definitely go for the Currie which has actually changed names and is now called Rock Jock. It doesn't screw up the steering geometry like some do and it just works well. Beefy as hell too, I've had it on two different TJs and love it. It's not cheap but it's worth it. Shop around, you can usually find it cheaper than its list price shown here... https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9701-TJ-LJ-XJ-MJ-ZJ-Currectlync-Steering-System

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
If a wet noodle can be called beefy than sure....

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Jokes. Currie/Rock Jock is the best choice. Especially if you are wheeling hard enough. If you cant afford it, then the ZJ steering is also a decent upgrade. Its at least a solid bar unlike the stock hollow tie rod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rough Country is a joke, definitely go for the Currie which has actually changed names... it's now called Rock Jock. It doesn't screw up the steering geometry like some do and it just works well. Beefy as hell too, I've had it on two different TJs and love it. It's not cheap but it's worth it. Shop around, you can usually find it cheaper than its list price shown here... https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9701-TJ-LJ-XJ-MJ-ZJ-Currectlync-Steering-System
Thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If a wet noodle can be called beefy than sure....

View attachment 4527751

Jokes. Currie/Rock Jock is the best choice. Especially if you are wheeling hard enough. If you cant afford it, then the ZJ steering is also a decent upgrade. Its at least a solid bar unlike the stock hollow tie rod
Yeah im doing a metalcloak long arm upgrade with sliders to go wheeling!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Yeah im doing a metalcloak long arm upgrade with sliders to go wheeling!
Do some research before pulling the trigger on MC. There are far better short arm lifts out there.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

·
Knows a couple things...
49,822 Posts
Do some research before pulling the trigger on MC. There are far better short arm lifts out there.
Exactly. I'd rather repeatedly hit my head with a ball peen hammer than install an MC suspension lift. Especially a long-arm. MC is the master of smoke and mirror marketing, especially their "Duroflex" joints which don't last long. Really, not a rumor.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,822 Posts
What do you recommend?
Currie, now known as Rock Jock. Currie's (Rock Jock) Johnny Joints make MC's Duraflex joints look like a bad joke. (just my personal opinion lol) You can never go wrong with Rock Jock, their products are solid and well known for holding up to nearly anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Currie, now known as Rock Jock. Currie's (Rock Jock) Johnny Joints make MC's Duraflex joints look like a bad joke. (just my personal opinion lol) You can never go wrong with Rock Jock, their products are solid and well known for holding up to nearly anything.
The thing is I need a long arm kit because I have all this lift and still the stock arms so I'm having issues arise from that.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
What would you recommend?
Currie/Rock Jock.

I have metalcloak control arms and track bars. The front track bar uses a heim joint positioned flat. This allows it to accumulate debris which causes the joint to fail pretty quickly. The duroflex joints they say require 0 service.Somewhere around 50k miles was when I started going through DC joints on a regular basis. The joints were worn out and causing axle wrap. I plan to replace all my MC stuff with rock jock eventually.

The joint is supposed to be bonded to the rubber material. When I replaced mine, three of the joints would spin freely and one completely fell out as soon as it was removed from the control arm barrel. The fronts didnt look a whole lot better.

Automotive tire Tire Food Tread Wood

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Currie/Rock Jock.

I have metalcloak control arms and track bars. The front track bar uses a heim joint positioned flat. This allows it to accumulate debris which causes the joint to fail pretty quickly. The duroflex joints they say require 0 service.Somewhere around 50k miles was when I started going through DC joints on a regular basis. The joints were worn out and causing axle wrap. I plan to replace all my MC stuff with rock jock eventually.

The joint is supposed to be bonded to the rubber material. When I replaced mine, three of the joints would spin freely and one completely fell out as soon as it was removed from the control arm barrel. The fronts didnt look a whole lot better.

View attachment 4527761
Thank you I'll look into rock Jock

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Currie/Rock Jock.

View attachment 4527761
Also I wanted to ask do you have a suggestion for a kit I should look at?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts