Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,822 Posts
The thing is I need a long arm kit because I have all this lift and still the stock arms so I'm having issues arise from that.
No you don't, don't believe all the bullshit about how long-arm lifts are so great and that they ride better due to the longer arms lengths. It's bullshit. Really.

This is my previous TJ that I installed a long arm suspension on. It was crap and it helped nothing. That '97 TJ was stolen 11 years ago and I replaced it with my present '04 TJ which has a 4" Currie short-arm lift. It does EVERYTHING better.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wait, the only thing the long-arms did better was to get hung up on every rock they could find. I spent half my time getting unstuck from the arms getting hung up.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

A couple friends made this meme up after I kept getting hung up on trails like Sledgehammer and Sunbonnet in Johnson Valley CA.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

This is my present TJ with its Currie 4" short arm suspension which does everything better. Except its arms don't get hung up on every trail obstacle they can find like my previous long arms did.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tread

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No you don't, don't believe all the bullshit about how long-arm lifts are so great and that they ride better due to the longer arms lengths. It's bullshit. Really.

This is my previous TJ that I installed a long arm suspension on. It was crap and it helped nothing. That '97 TJ was stolen 11 years ago and I replaced it with my present '04 TJ which has a 4" Currie short-arm lift. It does EVERYTHING better.

View attachment 4527762

Wait, the only thing the long-arms did better was to get hung up on every rock they could find. I spent half my time getting unstuck from the arms getting hung up.

View attachment 4527765

A couple friends made this meme up after I kept getting hung up on trails like Sledgehammer and Sunbonnet in Johnson Valley CA.

View attachment 4527766

This is my present TJ with its Currie 4" short arm suspension which does everything better. Except its arms don't get hung up on every trail obstacle they can find like my previous long arms did.

View attachment 4527763
Would you happen to know if the kit effect the 3.5 inch dbs suspension lift kit I have? Also do you have the info of the kit I should look into?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Exactly. I'd rather repeatedly hit my head with a ball peen hammer than install an MC suspension lift. Especially a long-arm. MC is the master of smoke and mirror marketing, especially their "Duroflex" joints which don't last long. Really, not a rumor.
Ours have lasted for years. Not a rumor either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Let's all treat that as the gold standard review
As someone who used their rig as a daily and hard weekend warrior, it was disappointing. I know plenty of others who sold their MC arms because of the same issues with even less miles. They're all sporting Johnny Joints now. MC is garbage, and this is coming from someone who still has MC products on their rig.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
As someone who used their rig as a daily and hard weekend warrior, it was disappointing. I know plenty of others who sold their MC arms because of the same issues with even less miles. They're all sporting Johnny Joints now. MC is garbage, and this is coming from someone who still has MC products on their rig.
Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
73 Posts
e all sporting Johnny Joints now. MC is garbage, and this is coming from someone who still has MC products on their rig.
So many people sing the praises of MC. When I was looking at various upgrades, a very high percentage of MC reviews had issues with fit and mounting locations being off. One welded and gusseted bracket wasn't wide enough so other suspension components had to be trimmed. Then reading the comments here make me think MC is essentially a prettier RC with only a "Former Top Tier Status"... Perhaps the FRAM of suspension... LOL

Thanks for the insight as I continue to add. FTR - I did go with Jock Rock Control Arms and the dual JJ's!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So many people sing the praises of MC. When I was looking at various upgrades, a very high percentage of MC reviews had issues with fit and mounting locations being off. One welded and gusseted bracket wasn't wide enough so other suspension components had to be trimmed. Then reading the comments here make me think MC is essentially a prettier RC with only a "Former Top Tier Status"... Perhaps the FRAM of suspension... LOL

Thanks for the insight as I continue to add. FTR - I did go with Jock Rock Control Arms and the dual JJ's!!!!
Thank you very much im going rock jock!

·
Registered
497 Posts

No way Metalcloak can be compared to RC! At least on the Jk platform they have very good results. It could be platform related as I don't have a TJ. I know first hand that the bushings hold up very well in JK applications. A high articulating bushing will require maintenance, the schedule will depend on usage and harshness of environment. You have a few very vocal people that have experienced issues with the product or service and plenty of people on the other side. Make an informed decision based on the criteria for suspension that is important to you. I like my MC 6Pak shocks but rarely recommend them outright. I try to inform people that they are a niche product that will only work for a few people's situation. I don't know enough about their TJ line but even in the JK line I think their steering is nice but there are plenty of other possible products that are better in specific applications. Take your time gathering your own information and remember what is important to you may not be to the person recommending another brand of product. A rock bouncer on 40s may not have the same concerns as someone looking at 33s and casual wheeling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No way Metalcloak can be compared to RC! At least on the Jk platform they have very good results. It could be platform related as I don't have a TJ. I know first hand that the bushings hold up very well in JK applications. A high articulating bushing will require maintenance, the schedule will depend on usage and harshness of environment. You have a few very vocal people that have experienced issues with the product or service and plenty of people on the other side. Make an informed decision based on the criteria for suspension that is important to you. I like my MC 6Pak shocks but rarely recommend them outright. I try to inform people that they are a niche product that will only work for a few people's situation. I don't know enough about their TJ line but even in the JK line I think their steering is nice but there are plenty of other possible products that are better in specific applications. Take your time gathering your own information and remember what is important to you may not be to the person recommending another brand of product. A rock bouncer on 40s may not have the same concerns as someone looking at 33s and casual wheeling.
Yeah thank you I just want a very strong reliable daily driver that is very capable off-road.

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
I know first hand that the bushings hold up very well in JK applications. A high articulating bushing will require maintenance, the schedule will depend on usage and harshness of environment.
do you consider a Johnny Joint a high articulating bushing? they really arent bushings for currie or MC, they are flex joints. JJ's do not require maintenance. at worst, they can take a bit of grease, but do not need to be disassembled and rebuilt.

I have zero first hand experience with duroflex joints but have seen their claims of low maint and many users ending up having to disassemble and rebuild. I do have direct experience with JJ's and have had zero issues for close to a decade. its possible that i've seen a thead or two talking about rebuilding JJ's, but i cant remember any.

I do have direct experience with MC's track bars and the heim joints started making noise under 5k miles. its one of the few regrets on my jeep and wish I would have spent the cash up front on currie track bars instead.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,822 Posts
I do have direct experience with JJ's and have had zero issues for close to a decade. its possible that i've seen a thead or two talking about rebuilding JJ's, but i cant remember any.
X2. My Johnny Joints are going on 11 years old and they've never been apart and they're still doing great. Barely been greased. MC's "Durometer" is really just basically a rubber formulation bushing and in that application don't last nearly as long as MC and some of its fanboys claim. The Jonny Joint is made up of a forged steel ball in a polyurethane race. A proven and very long-lasting high-misalignment flex joint rod end.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts