Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
do you consider a Johnny Joint a high articulating bushing? they really arent bushings for currie or MC, they are flex joints. JJ's do not require maintenance. at worst, they can take a bit of grease, but do not need to be disassembled and rebuilt.

I have zero first hand experience with duroflex joints but have seen their claims of low maint and many users ending up having to disassemble and rebuild. I do have direct experience with JJ's and have had zero issues for close to a decade. its possible that i've seen a thead or two talking about rebuilding JJ's, but i cant remember any.

I do have direct experience with MC's track bars and the heim joints started making noise under 5k miles. its one of the few regrets on my jeep and wish I would have spent the cash up front on currie track bars instead.
I would consider a Currie JJ to serve the same purpose and it could be considered a bushing; as Joint and Bushing seem to be used interchangeably( which I'm doing in this reply). In my early days with MJs and XJs; I have had Clevite bushing, Rubicon express joint (similar but maybe copy of JJ), Currie JJ, traditional poly bushing, heim joint and each one of those joints has worn out on me at sometime under heavy use. Although they all served their purpose; I was never completely satisfied with every aspect of the joints/bushings. Perhaps this was from the added NVH due to unibody construction or the steep angles of the short arm lifts. The current ZJ in our fleet of vehicles has some crappy RC joints, recently substituted Currie Johnny joints, and standard clevite bushings in a long arm kit. I'm back to a noisy and harsh ride with tons of noise. The Currie JJs will be the last to be replaced if I still experience harsh NVH after all other bushings are replaced with either DDB/Giiro joints or MC Duraflex bushings.

All I can say is that my JK is the quietest and most flexy Jeep I have had. Perhaps some of that comes from frame/body construction and nearly flat control arm angles; so far no joint has needed to be replaced yet. However, I have swapped some arms with new bushings because of redesigning suspension. I also had to actually use 2 of the old bushings in new ends due to the narrow size I needed. After the front suspension mods are done, I will be replacing any of the original MC (non-Kevlar) bushings with the newer style. Since I'm at the extremes of articulation and I have started to grind some of the bushing ends/housing for clearance in the control arm brackets I expect accelerated wear and more frequent replacement. I like that all I need is a good C-clip pliers and a rubber mallet to replace the joints.

Due to my sensitivity to NVH on Jeeps, I have never liked track bars with heim joints from any manufacture. Most suspension manufactures don't make their own heim joint and I learned quickly the value in high quality heim joints if used in any steering or suspension (which I used in my Fox body Mustangs). I also don't like the vertical placement of the bolt for some of the heim joint track bars. I would prefer horizontal positioned bolt if I was using a heim. Before Metalcloak came out with their Durotrack bushing for track bars on JKs, I preferred a high durometer Clevite bushing at the risk of accelerated wear with extreme articulation. I now like the stiff but free rotation of the Durotrak bushing in my track bars.

I feel I have a lot of experience and have tried and tested a large variety of parts during my years. Based on my sensitivity to NVH, MetalCloak bushings are my personal choice based on what is important to me. I get enough flex with reasonable maintenance and life on a JK "mid-arm" suspension. I also like that the MC bushing is self centering so bent arms don't have to be paired with potentially restrictive self-centering bushings. I don't try to claim there is one perfect bushing for everyone; we all have our own priorities for what we value in a product. I don't knock JJs based on my limited experience but they don't have the features that I'm interested in for my JK. Time will tell how I like JJs in our ZJ.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FWIW: I've had a Rock Krawler 4 1/2" long arm kit on my '05 Unlimited for over 10 years and it's worked great the whole time. I usually do rock crawling on trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce and it's gotten me over them every time with no issues, and it rides much better than stock also. TJ 4.5 Inch X Factor Long Arm System To be fair though, they don't make the same kit I bought, mine has solid control arms that are 'dog leg' shaped for better clearance. Also, the prices now seem to be twice what I paid.

For the steering, after bending a variety of aftermarket links I went with the Rocky-Road Outfitters high steer kit. It moves all the links well up above the axle and I haven't had any issues since. https://www.rocky-road.com/tj-high-steer.html It is a more involved installation since you have to add brackets to your steering knuckles, but it does include anti-roll bar disconnects and a steering stabilizer. It's more expensive that the kits that are just beefy steering links also.

As always, opinions are free and worth what you paid for them.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts