Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my jeep for about a year now and my unit bearing went bad when i put larger tires on. Thinking that was the culprit of the problem i ordered two timken unit bearings. The jeep is at 100k miles anyways so probably time to change them out.

In taking the brake capilier off there was only one bolt holding it on. No top bolt. Well the bottom is held in by a groove so when i put it back on i tried the top and it was stripped out. Would there be some kind of way to rig a bolt in there or am i just going to have to replace the whole knuckle?

If i gotta replace the knuckle should i buy a new one or junk yard? It also entails pulling ball joints. Not looking forward to that.

Here is a pic of the temporary fix. I mean i drove with only one bolt for almost a year and never had a real problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruh youre telling me. I was dumbfounded when i saw the bolt missing and realized i was driving like this for like 8 months.

And thank you for suggesting heilcoil. A product i have never heard of but looks to be the number one alternative to replacing the whole knuckle.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Bruh youre telling me. I was dumbfounded when i saw the bolt missing and realized i was driving like this for like 8 months. And thank you for suggesting heilcoil. A product i have never heard of but looks to be the number one alternative to replacing the whole knuckle.
You don't really know how long that bolt has been missing. It could have been present (but floating loose and still keeping the caliper aligned on the rotor) until very recently.

That bolt is only supposed to get 11 ft lbs of torque, so I am guessing it was cranked down far too tightly and broke out the threads after some time.

I seriously would NOT drive it until you have another knuckle installed. That is dangerous AF as you have it. It was even more so before, but you could not avoid the danger if you did not know it was present. Now you do.

In most cases a junkyard one will be fine. Just don't get one off an older XJ because they use this funky insert on one of the ball joints that I would avoid.

I also would not helicoil that particular bolt. I would never feel safe with it. The torque spec is VERY low for a reason and I would not trust the helicoil to need the same spec. These four skinny bolts literally save your life every time you press the pedal when on the road.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So i have had my jeep for about a year now and my unit bearing went bad when i put larger tires on. Thinking that was the culprit of the problem i ordered two timken unit bearings. The jeep is at 100k miles anyways so probably time to change them out.

In taking the brake capilier off there was only one bolt holding it on. No top bolt. Well the bottom is held in by a groove so when i put it back on i tried the top and it was stripped out. Would there be some kind of way to rig a bolt in there or am i just going to have to replace the whole knuckle?

If i gotta replace the knuckle should i buy a new one or junk yard? It also entails pulling ball joints. Not looking forward to that.

Here is a pic of the temporary fix. I mean i drove with only one bolt for almost a year and never had a real problem.
I don't think you need to pull the balljoints. You only need to remove the upper and lower balljoint nuts and the knuckle should drop off. Might have to tap it with a hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts