Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I'm going to finally take my backwoods bomber '88 on to the road. I had to do a few things to get it road ready but I'm at a roadblock here. In NY the DMV's website states that the steering wheel can't have "excessive play". Being how that's pretty vague id like to get rid of the play I have. I can move the wheel about an 1/8 in either direction... maybe a bit less but id like to not get it inspected and fail. I started with trying to tighten the steering box but it did nothing and I don't want to over tighten and cause another issue. I grabbed the shaft under the hood and I can spin it a bit in either direction just like the steering wheel. I don't know if or what that may mean but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have a '88 yj, 4.2l, ax-15, 1" body lift and stock tires. Oh and power steering.... my fluid is good as well. Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Have a friend rock the steering wheel back and forth , look at all parts of the steering shaft and all the tie rod ends under the front end, also jack up the front wheels and grab the tires at the 12 and 6 o'clock and the 3 and 9 o'clock position and wiggle the tire to check for wheel bearing play.Thats a good place to start.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I as well tried to tighten mine and it did nothing. After you verify the movement does not go beyond the pittman arm, it is time to replace the sterring gear box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts