Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring the internet for answers and have found nothing. I even took my jeep to the dealership and they could not figure it out. Here is the issue. When I start my jeep cold and drive, everything is fine. Nothing is noticeably wrong with the alignment or steering. After about 8 or so miles when the jeep is warm the alignment seems to get worse and worse. It becomes difficult to control when breaking and at higher speeds and the first couple of times this happened I could hear something leaking and steaming up. I could also smell whatever it was that was leaking. I could not figure out where the leak was coming from. At that point the steering is so bad it's not drivable at all. The first time this happened I checked the power steering fluid and it was very low. I topped it off and it has stayed topped off ever since. When I turn the jeep off and let it cool down everything goes back to normal again but when I start it back up again and drive for a few miles it gets bad again. Do I simply need an alignment? Could it be an issuer with the power steering pump? Any help is appreciated.
It's a 2005 TJ Sport by the way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It almost sounds like you have a sticking caliper. I had a problem in an old zj where the caliper would stick after getting hot.
Does it start pulling hard to one side or the other after braking? If so, get out and feel the front wheel on the side the jeep is pulling to. If its excessively warm compared to the other side, that's probably the problem.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good suggestion in the post above.
Sticking calipers are not that unusual in TJs. I've had one on my 05 LJ.
There is a distinct smell when this happens; and smoke if it gets hot enough.

The power steering fluid being low is probably coincidental.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did what you said. Checked the passenger side wheel and it was cold. checked the drivers side wheel and it nearly burnt my hand. I'll have to investigate it more this weekend. Thanks for the guidance!! Finally getting somewhere with this issue.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Nice diagnosis cixpak88, that sticking caliper wouldn't have occurred to me from how the symptoms were explained.

Kjtalyor, I hope you topped your power steering reservoir off with ATF+4 per the owner's manual. Jeep shifted away from power steering fluid in 2003 when they switched to the Mercedes steering system. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts