Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm new to the Jeep world. I had a Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift and 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers put on my 2012 JKU yesterday. I knew to expect it to handle differently and the guy at the shop said that if i notice it pulling one way or the other to bring it back in and they would fix it. It is pulling slightly to the left, but I've also noticed some play in the steering wheel where i feel like i'm constantly correcting myself while driving down the highway. I know they aligned it when they put the lift on. Is there anything else that can be done to fix the play in the steering wheel?

·
Super Moderator
16,550 Posts
Ok so I'm new to the Jeep world. I had a Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift and 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers put on my 2012 JKU yesterday. I knew to expect it to handle differently and the guy at the shop said that if i notice it pulling one way or the other to bring it back in and they would fix it. It is pulling slightly to the left, but I've also noticed some play in the steering wheel where i feel like i'm constantly correcting myself while driving down the highway. I know they aligned it when they put the lift on. Is there anything else that can be done to fix the play in the steering wheel?
Did you get your alignment print out?

We need to see that information.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I know a lot of people that run those tires complain of a slight pull to the left.
Don't know if that would play into the issue..

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
As Pressurized your current alignment settings will help identify the problem.

However, in general when you lift the JK, the geometry changes introduce reduce the steering Caster angle. This angle is exactly the parameter used to measure how stable or unstable (light steering that requires constant correction) your JK. It's highly likely your Caster angle needs adjusting and there is no built in way to adjust at the factory. It requires extra parts. There are a few ways to adjust it, some better than others and the better ways are more expensive. Best thing is to start with the print out.

This is a very common problem so there are dozens of threads on this subject. Check out some of them so you understand the solutions. One of the best is this fine explanation by JKeeper10:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-caster-and-lifting-502001.html

·
Super Moderator
16,550 Posts

However, in general when you lift the JK, the geometry changes introduce reduce the steering Caster angle. This angle is exactly the parameter used to measure how stable or unstable (light steering that requires constant correction) your JK. It's highly likely your Caster angle needs adjusting and there is no built in way to adjust at the factory. It requires extra parts. There are a few ways to adjust it, some better than others and the better ways are more expensive. Best thing is to start with the print out.

This is a very common problem so there are dozens of threads on this subject. Check out some of them so you understand the solutions. One of the best is this fine explanation by JKeeper10:

Yep, I suspect it's missing caster correction. joeyw09, if you read kjeepers thread from spinlocks post, it will tell you how to use an angle finder app on your phone to ballpark your caster. If you can't get the printout, you should work on getting a reading on it.

You might be a candidate for control arm drop brackets or maybe aftermarket control arms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I suspect it's missing caster correction. joeyw09, if you read kjeepers thread from spinlocks post, it will tell you how to use an angle finder app on your phone to ballpark your caster. If you can't get the printout, you should work on getting a reading on it.

You might be a candidate for control arm drop brackets or maybe aftermarket control arms.

Thank you guys for the input. Let me ask yall this. Im looking at the Rough Country 3.5 inch suspension lift and it comes with fixed lower control arms, track bar drop brackets, and a pitman arm. None of this was the case with the 3.25 inch and i didnt realize it till now after i have read up on all of this. Im thinking i should use RCs 90 day return policy and trade my 3.25 out for the 3.5 instead of paying for all of the parts separately and also losing ground clearance in the process. Not that im cheap when it comes to my Jeep. It just seems to make sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Thank you guys for the input. Let me ask yall this. Im looking at the Rough Country 3.5 inch suspension lift and it comes with fixed lower control arms, track bar drop brackets, and a pitman arm. None of this was the case with the 3.25 inch and i didnt realize it till now after i have read up on all of this. Im thinking i should use RCs 90 day return policy and trade my 3.25 out for the 3.5 instead of paying for all of the parts separately and also losing ground clearance in the process. Not that im cheap when it comes to my Jeep. It just seems to make sense to me.
Is one of those kits a combo body/coil lift ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly I don't really care for the TB drop brackets, pitman arm. All cheap and poor ways to correct geometry.
Synergy makes a front lower Fixed arm 1/4 over stock. Less expensive option that won't rob ground clearance.

Alright Ill definitely look into it. Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly I don't really care for the TB drop brackets, pitman arm. All cheap and poor ways to correct geometry.
Synergy makes a front lower Fixed arm 1/4 over stock. Less expensive option that won't rob ground clearance.

And just those arms should most likely help with the wandering? It says it restores stock caster angle to a 3 inch lift. I realize its only a quarter of an inch, but im still figuring all this out and i dont know how much difference a quarter of an inch makes.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i know everybody is tired of answering the same question, but ive come up with another question that i havent been able to find the answer to. The way i think i understand it is that adjustable front lower control arms will correct just caster and the drop brackets would correct caster as well as reduce vibration and help the smoothness of the ride. So if im just looking to get rid of the wandering/flighty steering, some adjustable front lower control arms would most likely do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Ok i know everybody is tired of answering the same question, but ive come up with another question that i havent been able to find the answer to. The way i think i understand it is that adjustable front lower control arms will correct just caster and the drop brackets would correct caster as well as reduce vibration and help the smoothness of the ride. So if im just looking to get rid of the wandering/flighty steering, some adjustable front lower control arms would most likely do the trick?
Yes .. Caster angle is your answer. Both with add caster angle. The brackets take it a step further and smoothen out how the front end handles bumps.
You could do fixed arms like mentioned above.
Synergy's are 1/4 and TF's are 3/16 over stock.

Synergy fixed arms I'm working on swapping the bushings on.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright good. I think what im leaning towards doing is buy the LCAs and and adjustable front track bar to hopefully fix the handling issue. If that works, then ill move on to addressing the smoothness of the ride. Like i said, i dont mind spending money on my Jeep, i honestly just dont like the way the control arms become so visible with the drop brackets.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is the same thing I am experiencing. I think my left tie rod end might have a little play in it. But barely noticeable if it does. I'm going to replace it anyway. Kjeeper10 had said something about mine having off set cam bolts on the front lower control arms. But I dunno what the purpose is or what they do for caster adjustment possibly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine drive like crap after lifting it this weekend and I did some talking and I had to much air in the tire dropped the psi to about 27 and it drives like a car.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Alright good. I think what im leaning towards doing is buy the LCAs and and adjustable front track bar to hopefully fix the handling issue. If that works, then ill move on to addressing the smoothness of the ride. Like i said, i dont mind spending money on my Jeep, i honestly just dont like the way the control arms become so visible with the drop brackets.
Good plan.
Ground clearance is the one negative using drop brackets. If the jeep is 100% daily driver .. I see no reason not to use them.

·
Retired Moderator
102,419 Posts
I worked on a front end rack for many years, (second job in the evenings) performing alignments and replacing worn steering linkage and Ball Joints, plus rebuilding steering gears.

When you have a steering issue of your vehicle wandering all over the road from side to side, then a lack of positive caster is your main cause!!!!!!!

Yes there are other contributors, tire size and tread design, defective tire, tire pressure, toe in, worn steering linkage, worn Ball Joints and the list goes on.

View attachment 1934306

^^^The left bottom corner of this chart (caster), not enough positive is the main cause of any vehicle wandering. Plus when you go around a corner, your steering wheel should return pretty much on it's own back to center. If it doesn't, then that is another clue that you don't have enough positive Caster!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, our Wranglers Caster is non-adjustable from the factory. So this creates the need for adjustable CA's, for some lifts!

So as the old saying goes, you have to pay to play!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts