Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
I put a Procomp on and had no problems. Replaced it with a Rancho and problems ..went back to the Procomp and problem fixed again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
if you have power steering, why would you need one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
I need one....if you run without one more power to you. If i didn't have it i'd be all over the road every time i turned a corner with a bump in the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Colo-TJ said:
I need one....if you run without one more power to you. If i didn't have it i'd be all over the road every time i turned a corner with a bump in the road.
Somethings loose, or wrong in your steering/front suspension.

No steering stabilizer, no issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
Maybe the leafs are helping you
My TJ is great with it and horrid without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
everything is tight. I know it works so ill leave it that way.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
C6Rubicon said:
Sorry to hear that Nick. I'll send flowers. :D
White roses were the stabilizers favorite...

And I have read that with the Currie correct angle steering kit you will notice a difference without one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Hellcat03 said:
White roses were the stabilizers favorite...

And I have read that with the Currie correct angle steering kit you will notice a difference without one.
Youll notice a difference with all steering types, but it doesnt hinder driveability (shouldnt atleast)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
If you NEED a steering damper for bump steer, then you either have some worn out parts, or messed up geometry, probably the track bar.

Yeah... I have a damper on mine, because at the moment i have manual steering and I want to reduce steering feedback in the rocks. kind scary when a tire comes down off a rock, it shifts the steering and you dang near break a thumb. kind of essential for that reason, but if you have power steering its no longer a safety concern. maybe you WANT to reduce feedback in the rocks, fine, add a damper.

but it can't and shouldn't be used to stabilize the vehicle's poor steering characteristics. When i setup my steering, i drove the jeep for several weeks on the street until i got everything sorted out (and arg, even pulled the axle to add more caster) and then put the damper back on to go wheelin. fact is, it drove way better on the street without it and sometimes i take it off if i'm going for a long drive with no rocks involved.

i'm gathering up parts to get rid of it. adding power steering with ram assist. you can do a medium duty ram assist system really easily for about $120 if you have basic metal fab and mechanical ability. I'd post a link, but its on another forum that i'm not allowed to link to, in the toyota pickup section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Umm, his post is not about loose steering issues, he asked what brand peeps like for the product. I am like Chad, I wanted the Rubi express to match my lift kit, buuut they don't make one for my rig. So Procomp, their sister company had one, I have been happy with that one. Was like $20 or $30 from 4x4 hardware. Most don't come with a boot, I would recommend it. ....and BTW those dampners have fixed many of DW's. Even if it is masking other issues, its cheaper than a new front end, don't ya think....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
YJ325i said:
Umm, his post is not about loose steering issues, he asked what brand peeps like for the product. I am like Chad, I wanted the Rubi express to match my lift kit, buuut they don't make one for my rig. So Procomp, their sister company had one, I have been happy with that one. Was like $20 or $30 from 4x4 hardware. Most don't come with a boot, I would recommend it. ....and BTW those dampners have fixed many of DW's. Even if it is masking other issues, its cheaper than a new front end, don't ya think....
Thats a horrible way to fix a problem, oh wait. The government has been "masking" issues for years :rolleyes: No dampner will fix a DW problem, as you cant "fix" something unless you replace the part thats broken.

And I wouldn't use a boot on any shock, they just trap mud/dirt/moisture around the shaft and seal.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top