Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi a bought a used 2013 jeep wrangler sport unlimited a little over a year ago. It already had a rubicon express lift kit (i dont know how big the lift is) and a rubicon express steering stabilizer on it. About a month ago i noticed that i had bump steer and i checked the steering stabilizer. The seal went bad on it and i've been researching a lot about steering stabilizers and im still unsure about what to look for. If someone could help me out with finding a steering stabilizer that would be awesome!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Old Man Emu with relocation bracket if your existing setup is factory. If your stabilizer is already relocated you can get it without a bracket for about $20 less. Good luck!
Old Man Emu OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with LHD | Quadratec

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
Have you looked at upgrading your steering with the Steer Smarts line? They run a 1.5Ton TRE. These along with the attenuator they run, it really tights up the steering. Takes the bump steer out along with any play you may have in there as well.

If we can help, please let us know! Feel free to PM, email, or call at anytime!

STEER SMARTS

-Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Man Emu with relocation bracket if your existing setup is factory. If your stabilizer is already relocated you can get it without a bracket for about $20 less. Good luck!
Old Man Emu OMESD48 Steering Stabilizer with Relocation Bracket for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with LHD | Quadratec
Im not sure if my bracket location is stock or not. The steering stabilizer is mounted on the passanger side and also ive been looking on extreme terrain at either the rough country or the terriflex one

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
I do like the OME and SteerSmart stuff. Most every Jeep should have a SteerSmart attenuator on it. It is not a replacement for a steering stabilizer, it is in addition to one.
If you are replacing your steering stabilizer, I would avoid a monotube high pressure unit. A low pressure version like the OME or TeraFlex version should be fine. I would go with the OME over the TeraFlex one, but that is up to you.
If you either compare your set up with pictures of the stock set up or take pictures of your set up and post them it should be possible to determine if you have a relocation kit or not. You would really want to know that before buying a new one. If you do not have the relocation kit, now would be the time to do so. It would be crazy not to.
I don't know if a new SS is going to resolve your bump steer issue, that is usually not a SS issue to my knowledge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the OME and SteerSmart stuff. Most every Jeep should have a SteerSmart attenuator on it. It is not a replacement for a steering stabilizer, it is in addition to one.
If you are replacing your steering stabilizer, I would avoid a monotube high pressure unit. A low pressure version like the OME or TeraFlex version should be fine. I would go with the OME over the TeraFlex one, but that is up to you.
If you either compare your set up with pictures of the stock set up or take pictures of your set up and post them it should be possible to determine if you have a relocation kit or not. You would really want to know that before buying a new one. If you do not have the relocation kit, now would be the time to do so. It would be crazy not to.
I don't know if a new SS is going to resolve your bump steer issue, that is usually not a SS issue to my knowledge.
My steering stabilizer is on the passenger side here are some pictures. I just took my jeep into a dealer to have my seals replaced and they had rugged rigged jeeps there that are jacked up and the steering stabilizer they had on it was a mopar brand and it was on the passenger side as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
That looks like a stock location.
If you want / need to replace that I would go with the OME steering stabilizer with relocation bracket.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16091_2016_07.htm
This mounts the SS up above the tie rod, so it is less likely to hit when off road.
Or you could buy a TeraFlex SS and a TeraFlex relocation kit, about the same money. But it comes in black instead of bright yellow (which might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your tastes).

As was mentioned, in addition to a SS, the Griffen SteerSmart steering attenuator is a nice mod that seriously improves steering feel and reduces kick back and other nasty steering related woes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts