Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went wheeling disco front and kept hearing a popping noise. Kept looking under to see any parts hanging, broken, whatever could be making that noise. Nothing. Got home, cleaned her up, and saw this. How do I correct this issue? Did I bend something on a rock? Would a simple alignment do the trick?
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle fork
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Musical instrument Wrench Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
To prevent bump steer a line drawn thru ends of drag link has to be parallel to a line drawn thru ends of the control arm

So with just a lift they stay parallel but if you drop the non axle end of one you must also drop the non axle end of other

Otherwise as axle goes up and down wheels turn to left or right which is a bad thing called bump steer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To prevent bump steer a line drawn thru ends of drag link has to be parallel to a line drawn thru ends of the control arm

So with just a lift they stay parallel but if you drop the non axle end of one you must also drop the non axle end of other

Otherwise as axle goes up and down wheels turn to left or right which is a bad thing called bump steer

Bump steer was bad before I put the RC stabilizer on. Since I did that, she drives fine. My only complaint is the popping noise coming from the stabilizer banging the trackbar when its flexing. (@ least thats what I believe the noise is from)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Death wobble is different than bump steer

Now your making think I know even less than I thought I knew. Before the stabilizer was upgraded from the oem if I hit a pot hole, went over a bridge, hit a rough spot in the road, the jeep would take off suddenly going down the road and I'd have to correct the steering to keep it in the road. Thats bump steer. The death wobble is more severe going down the road constantly. What am I getting wrong?

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
A stabilizer is not a fix for bump steer which is a geometry of track bar and drag link problem

A stabilizer is a poor bandage fix for death wobble

See the video I posted it is all about geometry for bump steer

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
A shock absorber can dampen a spring oscillation it cannot do anything to steering geometry of Solid steel rods that have no spring vibration to dampen

If the drag link displaces its end a different amount than the track bar end does as axles moves up and down the wheels must move left or right and a steering damper cannot change that

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
x2 with Digger, he's spot on.

if your front end is set up correctly you can remove the stabilizer and notice minimal differences.

the drop pitman arm was a thing in leaf sprung vehicles that were lifted but are almost always a bad idea for TJ's and most coil and link suspensions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
x2 with Digger, he's spot on.

if your front end is set up correctly you can remove the stabilizer and notice minimal differences.

the drop pitman arm was a thing in leaf sprung vehicles that were lifted but are almost always a bad idea for TJ's and most coil and link suspensions.
I appreciate the input. Would an alignment shop have knowledge of these issues or should i go ahead and order the parts, and tell them what needs to be done?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts