Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on various sites about running no steering stabilizer and in the process of tracking down a clunk I yanked my Rancho stabilizer off for chits and giggles. This is gonna sound weird but... It was fairly new along with the springs etc. Its also 15 degrees out when I did this. It seemed insanely stiff to me so here's my experiment. I rigged it to check extend and contract and teh time test was pretty similar. I compressed it, hung one end from the rafters and put a piece of rebar thru the other end. I then timed how long it took to extend out with my 250 lbs hanging off it. 14 seconds was the result either way. Im thinking hum, that's gotta be fighting against things up front and after a drive its a considerable improvement in steering. It returns to center fast and smooth, turns quite a bit easier aslo. I will admit its a little looser feeling at 65 mph, but not enough to make me wanna put it back on. I also ran a local trail with lots of small rocks and ruts from the recent snow and rain and had very little feed back thru the steering wheel. That's another pound or so of weight gone off the thing ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What size tires are you running? You could MAYBE get away with it, with stock tires but now way with anything bigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
Back in the day steering stabilizers were unheard of so yes you can run without a stabilizer.
Big Rigs and heavy trucks don't use them at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
What's been said is that steering stabilizers can cure certain driveability issues.
It's been said more often that all they do is mask those issues. If I drove a vehicle without a stabilizer and it had driveability issues, I wouldn't try to cure those issues by adding a stabilizer. I'd want to cure the root cause.

My old heap has a stock stabilizer and I haven't felt the need to remove it. I'll be installing new axles next month and if I think of it, after I install both axles, I'll test drive the Jeep without the stabilizer just to make sure everything is as it should be with the replacement D30.

If you're happy without the stabilizer, I say "carry on".

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I am currently not running a steering stabilizer and it drives fine until i get up to about 70-75mph then i get a little shimmy. I think if i had a steering stabilizer on my jeep the slight shimmy would go away i just haven't messed with trying to get one put back on it. When i had the stock steering setup i always ran a Rancho stabilizer and had no shimmy at all on 33's.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im running Mickey T MTZ, 31's. Hey LuckyMac, what are you using for new axles? Goin with D60's ?

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Im running Mickey T MTZ, 31's. Hey LuckyMac, what are you using for new axles? Goin with D60's ?
That'd be nice. Then I'd have to shoehorn a SBC under my hood.

I bought a pair of D30/D35s from a 4 banger (4:10 gears). I stripped them and had them sandblasted, then painted them.
I'll be installing them as soon as I finish a current woodworking project that I'll be starting right after Christmas.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A steering stabilizer really is a good thing but the huge 'offroad' versions are WAY too stiff...

Go to your local auto parts store and get a stock replacement stabilizer for @ $15....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might do that but it sure nice how it is. Was at the store yesterday and some dude with a F350 4x4 has 4 stabilizers on it. I could hear the steering box screaming as he drove off ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts