Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After adding a lift and bigger wheels and tires my steering is very all over the place. I'm looking to upgrade my steering stabilizer and get rid of that crappy stock one. Which one does everyone use? I have seen dual setups which per the reviews everyone loves and i have seen single ones which everyone says is a huge improvement. I can buy a rancho one from advance auto parts today for about $50 bucks it is the RS5000 series. Im running 33s on my jku. Would this help keep the wheel tight and from wandering or would I need something bigger.

Thanks for the input.

14 Jku 3 inch trailmaster lift' 33 inch MT baja tires on 17 pro comp wheels

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Your steering is 'all over the place' because of your alignment, not because of the stock steering stabilizer. Chances are you ended up with too little caster after the lift. Did the lift have any caster correction, like LCA brackets or adjustable lower control arms?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came with plates. I had the alignment done and everything is in the green. The steering runs straight it just has a wobble in it

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
That is almost certainly not from your stock steering stabilizer.
That could be a tire / balance issue or something not right from the lift.
One key is, did it do this before the lift and bigger tires?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Agree with others, it's not the stabilizer. The stabilizer is only masking a problem. You should remove the stabilizer, diagnosis the problem and fix it, then replace the stabilizer.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
The info in the previous posts is correct. Something is up if your wandering or wobbling. I run a 3.5" on my Jeep and don't need a stabilizer at all. No noticable difference when driving. You need to diagnose and resolve the issue first THEN install a steering stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
The steering stabilizer is to take out the minor road variances not cure suspension issues. Replacing the stabilizer with a newer or bigger one will only mask the issues until it is toast (rather quickly) and then you are back to the original issue.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
... my steering is very all over the place.
The steering runs straight it just has a wobble in it
So it's just a wobble, no wandering as indicated in the initial post? If just a wobble, put your stock tires & wheels back on to see if it is the balance of the new tires/wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts