Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been having a problem with my 2 door 2013 jk pulling to the left hard, it will change lanes if I let go of the steering wheel. Will the steering stabilizer cause it to pull to the left ??
It's a Fox 2.0 stabilizer and I've been reading a few other places that they are too pressurized which will cause this. Anyone else had a problem with Jeep pulling with this stabilizer ?????
Also just had it aligned and its still doing the same thing, Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have that Stabilizer and it doesn't pull at all nor will it cause it to pull. It's either an alignment issue or could be ruts in the road or some other steering/suspension component. It could also be tires that are unevenly worn but that is less likely.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Any gas charged stabilizer can and often do cause a left pull. It is more common than not... The Bilstein and Fox are typical culprits. The pressurized stabilizer pushes the tie rod to the driver's side.

Your pull sounds worse than what the stabilizer will cause. It's easy to check, take 10 minutes and remove it and go for a drive.

Reactions: REK

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any gas charged stabilizer can and often do cause a left pull. It is more common than not... The Bilstein and Fox are typical culprits. The pressurized stabilizer pushes the tie rod to the driver's side.

Your pull sounds worse than what the stabilizer will cause. It's easy to check, take 10 minutes and remove it and go for a drive.
Can you explain how that happens since it is just a shock and has no mechanism to push or pull it dampens. Would it pushing be a result of failure. I ask because i have the fox Stabilizer and have no issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
Can you explain how that happens since it is just a shock and has no mechanism to push or pull it dampens. Would it pushing be a result of failure. I ask because i have the fox Stabilizer and have no issues.
It is a pressurized shock. If you compress a pressurized shock it will extend back out on its own (in addition to taking a good bit of force to compress). Low pressure shocks do not push very hard, but some are high pressure (upwards of 150 psi, it does help them work better). That high pressure creates a lot more force trying to extend the "shock". Something has to counter that force.
The newer, cooler, steering stabilizers use a through rod design that removes this pressures force to extend the shock. It is still under high pressure, but because the shaft runs all the way through the body the pressure is not trying to push the shaft out the one side.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Not everyone feels it... I actually run a Bilstein pressurized stabilizer to counter a slight right pull that is built in to my front axle geometry.

It is a pressurized shock. If you compress a pressurized shock it will extend back out on its own (in addition to taking a good bit of force to compress). Low pressure shocks do not push very hard, but some are high pressure (upwards of 150 psi, it does help them work better). That high pressure creates a lot more force trying to extend the "shock". Something has to counter that force.
The newer, cooler, steering stabilizers use a through rod design that removes this pressures force to extend the shock. It is still under high pressure, but because the shaft runs all the way through the body the pressure is not trying to push the shaft out the one side.
Well said.

Some pressurized/gas - shocks/stabilizers are very difficult to compress and thus exert a significant amount of energy to the tie rod. It's like someone constantly pushing on the tire to the left while you drive. Twin tube stabilizers do not do this as they are not pressurized. This is the main reason that the OME stabilizer is so popular.

As for the new premium stabilizers, like the Falcon and the Fox ATS, I believe the piston is in the center of the shaft and they are pressurized on both sides of the piston and balanced, thus there is no push.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pressurized, everything is new on the front, tie rod, drag link, unit bearings, and tires are good and i rotated the front from side to side and it made no difference. I am taking the SS off today and see if that helps or solves the problem, wanted to do it yesterday but it was raining.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the stabilizer off and took it for a drive, removing the stabilizer has done away with 97% of the pull to the left. :iamhappy:
It pulls just barely now, and I can deal with that, at least it's not hurting my wrist trying to keep it from going left, thanks !!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Took the stabilizer off and took it for a drive, removing the stabilizer has done away with 97% of the pull to the left. :iamhappy:
It pulls just barely now, and I can deal with that, at least it's not hurting my wrist trying to keep it from going left, thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Good deal... While it is not a problem driving without a stabilizer, and many people do, I find that they reduce harmonics in the steering system that might otherwise be felt in the steering wheel.

Do you have your stabilizer relocated above the tie rod? That's more important than what stabilizer you have.

He's a real inexpensive kit that has a twin tube (no pull) stabilizer with the brackets to relocate.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16201_003_07.htm

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good deal... While it is not a problem driving without a stabilizer, and many people do, I find that they reduce harmonics in the steering system that might otherwise be felt in the steering wheel.

Do you have your stabilizer relocated above the tie rod? That's more important than what stabilizer you have.

He's a real inexpensive kit that has a twin tube (no pull) stabilizer with the brackets to relocate.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16201_003_07.htm
Yes, it's above the tie rod--did that when I changed the tie rod and did the drag link flip--And I will check that stabilizer out. Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts