Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Replacing my old steering stabilizer and wondering if I need to get the front wheels off the ground for the simple task 馃徏 Thanks

Registered
Tie Rod? Steering Stabilizer is fastened to the Drag Link. To remove the Steering Stabilizer, you only need to remove the Steering Stabilizer Bolt & Nut at the Axle and the Steering Stabilizer Rod End Stud & Nut at the Drag Link.

To remove the Rod End Stud you need a Big Daddy Hammer. A 3# Sledge works well. First smack the Drag Link right where the stud is fastened a couple times, not the stud itself, yet. Then, WHACK the stud. I mean man up and WHACK it, like Mike Tyson 1st Rd KO. Like Kareem Hunt or Ray Rice drunk in a Hotel KO. It should only take one good shot to pop it out. If it's taking more whacks, you're doing it wrong. Don't even bother threading the nut back on, upside down, that can make matters worse.

Knows a couple things...
That tapered stud will pop out with some very manly whacks with a BFH on the SIDE of the drag link next to where the stud passes through. Don't pound on the stud itself which will just make it swell/mushroom and make its fit even tighter. If that stud doesn't pop out within 3-4 big whacks it's time to put your big boy pants on and put some muscle behind the BFH (big effing hammer).

Registered
If you have an Advance Auto store nearby, check out their loaner tool kit #3 (Front end service kit). It has a puller that works great for the steering damper. It's tough to get a good hammer swing with the vehicle on the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts