Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone it is time for me to get a new steering stabilizer... I have an unlimited lifted on 35"s ... I don't need to go expensive cuz thinking ahead I'll probably just damage it (but have heard of a relocation bracket, do you suggest it? Also where can I find it) but what is everyone's personal preference on an affordable but yet good stabilizer and place and price to purchase it!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have the rubicon express that came with the bracket. cost like $65. for being the most useless part of a jeep its alright

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
OEM...if your Jeep is set up right you shouldn't even need one, and they are prone to getting destroyed on the trail so I wouldn't spend big money on one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys keep the opinions coming! And yea I understand that if everything is right I shouldn't need it I have been seeing that a lot in my research

Also been seeing slot of the pro comp SS? Anyone used one slot of people seem to run it cuz of price

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thanks guys keep the opinions coming! And yea I understand that if everything is right I shouldn't need it I have been seeing that a lot in my research

Also been seeing slot of the pro comp SS? Anyone used one slot of people seem to run it cuz of price
unless you are buying the fox ats (apparently everyone loves it) you really shouldnt have to spend more than $60-$70 on a stabilizer

dont fall for the dual stabilizer thing either. those are for flatbillers

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unless you are buying the fox ats (apparently everyone loves it) you really shouldnt have to spend more than $60-$70 on a stabilizer dont fall for the dual stabilizer thing either. those are for flatbillers
Thanks man!
Any other help or input guys?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
old man emu (OME) ? i have one on the way.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
im not even sure i need one. it was just recommended along with the lift and i am all about making the ride feel better than stock.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I have been doig as much research as possible and everything seems to going with the relocation bracket and the old man or the rancho simply for price

·
Registered
753 Posts
Like my OME and synergy clamp relocated up top. Jeep needed some yellow color underneath!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
OEM...if your Jeep is set up right you shouldn't even need one, and they are prone to getting destroyed on the trail so I wouldn't spend big money on one.
You don't "NEED" power steering, power windows, air conditioning and the dozens of other features that are standard on modern Jeeps these days but this idea of not needing a SS is misleading.

The Steering Stabilizer is designed to do exactly what the name implies, stabilize your steering. Stabilize it from sudden jolts due to either pot holes, bumps or debris in the road. These things might not have a big affect if your going under 30mph on a trail, but if your traveling over 50mph on the highway they certainly can have an impact on your handling. This is even worse if your lifted and even worse if you have a shorter 2-door frame. Just keep all that mind when your discussing stabilizers. They aren't a useless add-on, they have a significant purpose.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
What I was getting at was that a bigger aftermarket stabilizer isn't necessary. In fact it can mask problems that will get worse over time leading to the unfortunate death wobble. A steering stabilizer isn't a "fix" for anything, it's merely a bandaid that can mask bigger problems. You shouldn't need any more than an OEM stabilizer. Comparing it to luxuries like power windows and AC was not my intent so please don't misconstrue my words.

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
I have a 13 unlimited with 4.5 AEV lift and 35x13.50r20 tires. I believe that AEV is a respectable company and probably has the geometry correct. I had it installed at one of the best shops around and then aligned. It came with an OME SS and felt like crap. I then went with a Bilstein 5100 series SS and made it a little better but created more bump steer with the charge. I then purchased the Rough Country DSS kit and purchased another Bilstein SS and installed it myself. After tweaking the placement of the brackets I took it for a drive. I am so impressed with the outcome. The steering is a little stiff (I like the rack and pinion steering of older sports cars) but even more impressive is the lack of bump steer over bumps and potholes. Like I said, I have a respectable company's lift installed by a professional at 984 miles on the odometer and felt that the steering could be better. Found a way and will never look back. Spent less than 250.00 and would now spend more to get it again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a 13 unlimited with 4.5 AEV lift and 35x13.50r20 tires. I believe that AEV is a respectable company and probably has the geometry correct. I had it installed at one of the best shops around and then aligned. It came with an OME SS and felt like crap. I then went with a Bilstein 5100 series SS and made it a little better but created more bump steer with the charge. I then purchased the Rough Country DSS kit and purchased another Bilstein SS and installed it myself. After tweaking the placement of the brackets I took it for a drive. I am so impressed with the outcome. The steering is a little stiff (I like the rack and pinion steering of older sports cars) but even more impressive is the lack of bump steer over bumps and potholes. Like I said, I have a respectable company's lift installed by a professional at 984 miles on the odometer and felt that the steering could be better. Found a way and will never look back. Spent less than 250.00 and would now spend more to get it again.
Any chance you would elaborate on the before and after. I have the same lift and SS. Don't notice anything as it is. You got pictures of your setup?

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
Any chance you would elaborate on the before and after. I have the same lift and SS. Don't notice anything as it is. You got pictures of your setup?
With the OME installed I had a slight drift to the right. Took it back into the shop and had everything checked again and put back on the rack and everything was within spec. Factory castor is out and had it moved by rotating the axle. Ride felt stiffer and had it moved back to stock. That's when I decided to move to the Bilstein. The Bilstein was used in the AEV kit until they had complaints that it was pushing the Jeep to the left. I had the exact opposite problem. It did fix the slight right push but with the charge when I hit a bump/hole there was a jerk in the steering wheel. Now that I have duals it's awesome. When holding steering wheel normally it tracks true. When I let go there is now a very gradual move to the right. But when holding the steering wheel I am not making a conscious effort to keep it true like I was with the OME SS. Hope this helps. Will try and snag a pic tonight.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you are getting bumpsteer its possible your suspension is preloaded. This can happen when bolts are tightened before the vehicle is resting on the suspension. How reputable is the shop that installed it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts