Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new steering stabilizer after a 2.5 inch lift. Teraflex Spring and coil and a teraflex steering stabilizer. Now when I turn the wheel stationary the tie rod rotates causing a loud clank. Is the clank normal?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You may need to adjust the tierod side mount for the stabilizer. If it's a little off it can push/pull the tierod causing it to rotate.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Seems like you might start by loosening the tie-rod mount side of the SS. Then turn wheel and see if it goes away. Could be it is causing the bind and just needs to be positioned differently before clamping down.

1) Does the clank only happen when you get towards a full lock of the wheel in one direction? Or at both locks? Or somewhere in between?

2) If you are turning sharply in one direction, does it clank multiple times from center to lock position, or only once?

3) You say it happens when you're stationary; does that mean it never happens when you're driving? If you think it never happens when driving, test that theory (because that doesn't make any sense.) Put the car in a place where you can drive anyway you want, like an empty lot. Stop, turn wheel till sound occurs. Turn it back to center, then start moving very slowly, like 1mph. Turn wheel to same spot and see if sound occurs. If it does, speed up and see if it clanks at 5mph, etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It only happens stationary because it's the point where the most stress is on the steering in normal conditions. I have listened as well as seen the motion of the tie rod while my wife is steering. But logically when you jerk the wheels stationary the tie rod is taking the path of least resistance which seems that it wants to twist until the tie rod bottom out on its joint before sercoming to the SS. I think either the geometry of the SS to the tie rod needs to be adjusted or do more people use the bracket to mount the SS On top of the tie rod to keep the force lateral rather than down word angle

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Excellent! Glad you got it figured out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts