Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm upgrading some steering parts.. I ordered a Durango steering box off of Ebay for $140 to get rid of my current leaking box.

I also have the Crown HD steering kit on order.

I want to change all the dust caps on the Crown kit (I've heard they don't last more than 6 months). What brands would you all suggest? Also, are there only two in total to change? Like just the ones on the tie rod ends?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
The Crown HD kit is nothing but a Grand Cherokee ZJ tie rod, it uses the same drag link you currently have installed. You could get the same strength upgrade for less $$$ by just replacing your TJ tie rod with a ZJ tie rod.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the price, I couldn't complain. And getting a new non-rusted drag link. I'm alright with that!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody have an answer here? I'm thinking of just going with Energy Suspension dust caps. Will I only need the two for the tie rod ends, or are there more?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Does anybody have an answer here? I'm thinking of just going with Energy Suspension dust caps. Will I only need the two for the tie rod ends, or are there more?
There are two on the drag link as well, but why not let them go bad before you change them, they may last a lot longer than you think. Usually the people that are ruining grease cups are the ones that are over greasing or using pickle forks to separate the joints.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are two on the drag link as well, but why not let them go bad before you change them, they may last a lot longer than you think. Usually the people that are ruining grease cups are the ones that are over greasing or using pickle forks to separate the joints.
Well I don't plan on over greasing, or using pickle forks.. Have you used the crown caps before? Just wondering if you have any first hand experience with them. I live in Northern Ontario, with highly salted roads and more winter than summer months. I just didn't want the salt to cause a problem with the stock crown caps.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Well I don't plan on over greasing, or using pickle forks.. Have you used the crown caps before? Just wondering if you have any first hand experience with them. I live in Northern Ontario, with highly salted roads and more winter than summer months. I just didn't want the salt to cause a problem with the stock crown caps.
I haven't owned the crown stuff, but I know that they could all be easily changed in a matter of 15 or 20 minutes, so in my economy, it just seems like a waste of time to worry about it before it happens.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I have the Crown setup, and yes, within a couple months the caps were cracked and falling off. I think I used Synergy caps, pretty much any aftermarket cap you get will be thicker and better than what they put on there. Also I would replace the adjusters as well, when I did mine, the adjusting sleeve on the drag link broke in half, I had just driven 120 miles (the first 120 miles on the setup) and almost as soon as I got in the parking lot it snapped in half, I got extremely lucky, I replaced both adjusting sleeves and it has done very well for a couple years now, though it took a little while to trust it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts