Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new JKU last year my dad actually drove it the 90 mile trip from the dealership to my house. After I took my first drive in it I noticed the steering wheel is cocked a few inches, not much but enough I notice. It rides straight down the road if I let go of the wheel but it is a few degrees out of whack.

I took it in today for oil change tire rotation as part of the WAVE and asked the service manager about it. I thought I had read on here that it is a simple two minute fix?? The service manager said it would have to be scheduled for a complete alignment at a later date. I told him it feels like it is aligned as I can let go of the wheel and it will track straight. He insisted it has to be out of alignment if the steering wheel is not straight. Is he correct or not? I tried to use the search feature but I keep getting an error message on it tonight for some reason.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You don't need a full alignment. Go find a shop that does oil/alignment stuff and ask for an "alignment check" where they see how it looks for like $20. They'll probably just fix the steering wheel if it's off and let you be on your way (at least that's what I did). Takes 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
757 Posts
In general, dealers are trying to get you in and out fast during an oil change. My dealer is the same way - if it's not an oil change or tire rotation they want an appointment. Maybe that's why I only go for the oil changes 🙂

It sounds like maybe your Drag Link needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can adjust it yourself very easily. There are two bolts that need loosened slightly so that you can turn the adjustment collar on the bar. I got tired of trying to remember if turning over or under did what to the steering wheel from sitting in the seat I drew a cheat sheet. (Obviously I’m at the stick figure level of art).

Anyhow I would suggest you turn it maybe quarter turn then tighten the collar bolts and drive it down a parking lot. See how it tracks, stop loosen bolts, tweak, tighten, etc. you will be shocked how easy and quick you will have it centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor was a mechanic at a Dodge dealership for many years. I might ask him to help me get it. Since it's under warranty I was just going to have the dealer do it. I can do basic stuff but I know absolutely zero about suspension/alignment etc. I wouldn't know the difference between a drag link and a drag queen were it not for the size of her push rod....

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Pliney has the right idea but it's actually simpler than that. Park the Jeep with the wheel exactly as far off center as it is while driving. Loosen the sleeve bolts and rotate the sleeve until the wheel is properly centered then retighten the 2 bolts and you're done.

An actual alignment is never needed on any solid axle vehicle. That's nothing more than a high dollar scam sold by thieves. Camber is not readily adjustable. Caster is only adjustable by either correction brackets (after a lift) or adjustable control arms. Toe can be set by any number of methods the simplest of which is a tape measure. I use a homemade toe bar. The wheel is centered as mentioned above. If you own a wrench and know your left from your right you're good to go. If not, please step away form the jeep and hire a driver.:)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
have a friend sit in the drivers seat, unloosen the locking bolts on the adjusting collar on the drag link. You might need a pair of channel locks to get the adjusting sleeve to turn. Rotate it a bit with your friend watching, turn it whichever way it takes to get your wheel back straight. Once straight, jut tighten your locking bolt back down and you are good to go!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Old Syko has the best way, and that way you don't need a helper or even drive the vehicle. Park it with the wheels straight. Then adjust the collar to move the steering wheel. You may have to get out from under a few times, but you only about a foot under the front.

Once the steering wheel is straight, tighten the collar bolts.

Done.

Crooked steering wheels bug the fire out of me too. My TJ was that way when I bought it of my dealers used car lot. Fixed it the first thing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just made mention of the parking lot to fine tune it to dead center but that is just my OCD kicking in. I’m sure too it doesn’t help running 35s with stock steering components that are somewhat jiggly to begin with.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
When I got my new JKU last year my dad actually drove it the 90 mile trip from the dealership to my house. After I took my first drive in it I noticed the steering wheel is cocked a few inches, not much but enough I notice. It rides straight down the road if I let go of the wheel but it is a few degrees out of whack.

I took it in today for oil change tire rotation as part of the WAVE and asked the service manager about it. I thought I had read on here that it is a simple two minute fix?? The service manager said it would have to be scheduled for a complete alignment at a later date. I told him it feels like it is aligned as I can let go of the wheel and it will track straight. He insisted it has to be out of alignment if the steering wheel is not straight. Is he correct or not? I tried to use the search feature but I keep getting an error message on it tonight for some reason.
Adjusting a steering wheel is almost as easy as it gets:

-Park with the wheels as straight as possible.
-Loosen the two circled bolts. Do not remove, just loose enough to rotate the drag link.
-Rotate the drag link until your steering wheel is straight. (a wrench or vice grip may be needed to get it started)
-Test drive around the parking lot, make adjustments if needed.
-Done

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I just made mention of the parking lot to fine tune it to dead center but that is just my OCD kicking in. I’m sure too it doesn’t help running 35s with stock steering components that are somewhat jiggly to begin with.

If you do it as I said you'll be perfect every time. In other words, I'll match you OCD for OCD.:drinks:

BTW 35s aren't that big of tire and have no effect on wheel center anywho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts