Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep has been aligned by a shop a while ago and after I go out each time I have to readjust my steering wheel. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to why my steering wheel keeps moving? After each trip I just loosen the bolts and straighten it back up myself but now after a while of doing that it is starting to get old.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You need to check and see if the clamps on your tie rod are tight. Also check your toe-in and see if it is still set correctly. You may have either loose clamps or stripped threads in either drag link or tie rod...if so this could be dangerous.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I just replaced the tie rod and tie rod ends, so the alignment is fairly recent. I was thinking the drag link has stripped threads but I wanted to see if that's what others thought too. I make sure every time I realign the steering wheel I tighten down the bolts to make sure it isn't that. If the threads are in fact stripped would I have to replace the drag link?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Loose front track bar mounting hardware commonly causes drifting steering center. Also inspect the steel casting on the frame to be certain it is not cracked and separating from the frame.

Phil

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loose front track bar mounting hardware commonly causes drifting steering center. Also inspect the steel casting on the frame to be certain it is not cracked and separating from the frame.

Phil
When I did my lift I upgraded to the JKS Front Trackbar. I will check it to make sure it is still within torqued to specs.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
If your steering changes after offroading, something is bent/bending. Since you already replaced your tie rod, my bet is the track bar or drag link is bent & bending even more when you offroad.

Which way is the steering wheel turned so you can drive straight? That can help isolate which item may be bent.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your steering changes after offroading, something is bent/bending. Since you already replaced your tie rod, my bet is the track bar or drag link is bent & bending even more when you offroad.

Which way is the steering wheel turned so you can drive straight? That can help isolate which item may be bent.
It is turned to the left at about 9 to 10 o'clock.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So it may not be stripped threads then but rather something bent or bending?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
I would definitely bet that something was bent while offroading. Has your steering wheel position changed since replacing the tie rod? What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely bet that something was bent while offroading. Has your steering wheel position changed since replacing the tie rod? What size tires are you running?
I replaced my tie rod a few weeks ago and everything was straight. Then went off road and when we hit pavement the wheel was at a 9-10 o'clock. I am currently sitting on 31's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts