Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started last week. Driving down the road around 45MPH and my steering wheel starts shaking bad. It gets worse whenever I get on the brakes. All bolts are tight and going get an alignment tomorrow. I noticed that my tie rod I can rotate back and forth with my hand. Should I get that checked?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tie rod roll forward and back is normal. Just can't have left to right movement.
That's what I was thinking. Don't have left to right movement just the roll back to front. Anything else you think I should check?

·
Registered
85 Posts
did you go through planman's diagnostic thread?...

its very useful. I had a similar issue recently with a shaky steering wheel. A local mechanic turned my "lifted jeep with crazy wheels out past the fenders" away, so I started looking around online. An alignment probably won't do much as camber cannot be adjusted on the jk (unless installing offset balljoints) nor can caster (unless installing adjustable control arms). Basically all an alignment shop will do for you is adjust toe & center the steering wheel.

Anyway, long story short, for me - I followed planman's DW troubleshooting video - Had my girlfriend turing the wheel side to side while i was underneath, inspecting the steering components. It's pretty easy to do. During the inspection, I noticed some slop/movement & an audible clinking in the drag link end @ the steering knuckle. I ordered a replacement for it & installed it a few days later. Bingo- solved my steering shake problem.

check here first:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will defiantly look into those videos and I do have the RK adjustable lower control arms. Should I have the alignment shop adjust them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Changing up the track bar bolts to the 9/16th bolts definitely helped my Death Wobble. The link posted is an excellent resource. There are others posted that will help too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just left the alignment shop. Alignment was good and caster angle is 6.3* on both sides so I'm gonna look around the steering components to see if anything is loose. I also noticed my front brake pads are worn so I walked next door to autozone and got some more. I'll install them tonight. How easy are they to change? :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts