Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '00 Tj's steering wheel has been making a weird clicking noise when driving. It stops when I'm not moving or the vehicle is turned off. I just noticed it today, and it doesn't matter if it's a straight road or curvy road. It's a constant clicking. I'm not hearing it from anywhere else in the Jeep and it's pretty noticeable. I changed out my fuse plugs behind the steering column last month including all the alarm wires, but nothing then. Just today. My steering wheel is still centered and doesn't have any other loose or wobbly issues. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanx in advance

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Could possibly be the turn signal relay - that is located directly beneath the steering column.
These relays have been known to start randomly clicking without affecting the operation of the turn signals.
The turn signal relay on my 97 TJ started clicking after I accidently filled a turn signal with water when using a high pressure cleaner.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could possibly be the turn signal relay - that is located directly beneath the steering column.
These relays have been known to start randomly clicking without affecting the operation of the turn signals.
The turn signal relay on my 97 TJ started clicking after I accidently filled a turn signal with water when using a high pressure cleaner.
Will it go away on its own? Or do I need to pull the steering column again to readjust? Already was a pain once.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
No need to remove steering column, but the 'knee panel' on the dash will need to be removed - turn signal relay is located underneath steering column.
Mine clicked randomly for a while (no pattern) for about a week until it clicked less and less.
By the time I got around to buying a new relay, the clicking stopped and I never ended up replacing it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to remove steering column, but the 'knee panel' on the dash will need to be removed - turn signal relay is located underneath steering column.
Mine clicked randomly for a while (no pattern) for about a week until it clicked less and less.
By the time I got around to buying a new relay, the clicking stopped and I never ended up replacing it.
I was gonna pull the panel and make sure nothing is loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts