Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like when I do some good rocking crawling off road my steering wheel will be slightly off center afterward. Happened again last time I rock crawled, the steering wheel was about 1/4 inch off center. The dealership did some warranty work so I had them check the C's, axles, tie rod and DL. All good. What do you think causes this? Jeep doesn't pull to a side and toe was still good as well, the steering wheel is just off center.

EDIT: No cam bolts, Yeti DL and Tie Rod. 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
do you have the adjuster clamps torqued enough. They need to be really torqued down.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
if your track bar bolt holes are ovaled out a bit, the bolt could move side to side and cause it to be off.

the last time i went wheeling (saturday), my steering was actually more centered than before! LOL

with what we take these jeeps through, stuff is going to move a bit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's your tie rod. You bang it on the rocks and it messes with the steering center. Very common issue. Get a good tie rod and you will not have to worry about it again.

Edit: I see you have the Yeti DL and Tie Rod. Same thing happened to me this week. I have a Pro Rock so I know the axle is fine. Also have an aftermarket track bar. My only guess is the tie rod is slightly bent. I hope to be able to check it today.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As per their instructions:

Adjuster Tube Clamps
Tie rod – 40-45Lbs
Draglink – 40-45lbs
I'll have to check my torque settings. Looking at the DL torque I think I might be a little low. I know for sure the Tie Rod isn't bent.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found an interesting issue. DL torque was off which probably caused the issue with the steering wheel falling out of adjustment. But I also noticed that the drag link adjustment bolt was making contact with the Rubicon sway bar disconnect motor. I have the Yeti flipped DL and the bolts were facing forward. When I was full stuff on the passenger side and turned drivers side the bolt would hit the disconnect motor. Big scratches on the motor and damaged the threads of the bolt. Flipped the clamp around and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sometimes the DL will move with impacts like rocks. Same thing happens if you hit a curb at speed. I have seen this sometimes even when properly torqued down. If it happens after wheeling regularly, it's just one of those extra prices we pay for having fun -- you get to readjust it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Mine use to the same SocalJK, it was a for sure event after doing John Bull or Holcomb Creek for example, i used to think it was because my factory draglink, so i kept adjusting the draglink everytime after doing rocks. i posted the same question around here, and the commonality of all recommendations was to recheck the torque on all the parts that directly or indirectly involved steering, so after checking Tie rod, TB, DL, found the bolt on the front TB, at the frame side, was a little loose, after torquing that one down, all my issues went away, and i haven't have to adjust my steering anymore, though now i also have a currie draglink, and Synergy tireod replacing the factory pieces, but they worked just fine stock, until rocks did their deed :0

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine use to the same SocalJK, it was a for sure event after doing John Bull or Holcomb Creek for example, i used to think it was because my factory draglink, so i kept adjusting the draglink everytime after doing rocks. i posted the same question around here, and the commonality of all recommendations was to recheck the torque on all the parts that directly or indirectly involved steering, so after checking Tie rod, TB, DL, found the bolt on the front TB, at the frame side, was a little loose, after torquing that one down, all my issues went away, and i haven't have to adjust my steering anymore, though now i also have a currie draglink, and Synergy tireod replacing the factory pieces, but they worked just fine stock, until rocks did their deed :0
Yea it was Holcomb that threw it off. I was torqued to stock specs (26) when it should have been 45.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts