Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to change the volume control that is now the right toggle to the left toggle? I drive mostly with my left hand on the wheel, so I use the button on the left to change my pre-sets, but would also like to use my left hand to control the volume with the left toggle. Is this possible? And how difficult is it or would be? I have 2012 base sport.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jppower said:
I gotta ask what your doing with your right hand if your not using it to drive or change the volume? ;)
Playing with my stick.............shifting....or right-hand resting on my knob....the shift knob:)...........

·
Registered
667 Posts
It can be done, but the complexity of the work depends on the availability of the schematic that shows the electrical pinout of the connector that feeds the steering column. It is just a matter of pushing the correct pins out of the connector and reinstalling them to connect with the wires that control the volume. If someone can come up with the wiring diagram I can give you a step by step procedure to realign the pins the way you want them to work. The tool that you will need to repin the connector can be bought from Radio Shack for about $10.

(I am a Retired USMC Electronics Technician and now I integrate Secret Squirrel gear into military vehicles.)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Here is the disclaimer:

If the trigger signal for the air bag runs through the same connector I would recommend against messing with it. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
423 Posts
It can be done, but the complexity of the work depends on the availability of the schematic that shows the electrical pinout of the connector that feeds the steering column. It is just a matter of pushing the correct pins out of the connector and reinstalling them to connect with the wires that control the volume. If someone can come up with the wiring diagram I can give you a step by step procedure to realign the pins the way you want them to work. The tool that you will need to repin the connector can be bought from Radio Shack for about $10.

(I am a Retired USMC Electronics Technician and now I integrate Secret Squirrel gear into military vehicles.)
I may be wrong here, but i thought that each button was hooked to the same connection that grounds through the steering wheel and when pressed, each button has a different resistance or something. So on the other end, there is a box that decodes the ohms to see what button was pressed. There arent a bunch of wires going through the steering column from the wheel. So you would have to be able to actually switch the inserts from left to right. Like i said, i might be completely off here, but i thought thats how they did steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr.Bill said:

Thanks guys. Sounds like this might be possible. Going to the dealership today, I'll see what I can come up with in regards of a wireing diagram. The reason for this is I drive a lot with my left arm resting on the window sill and and left hand on the wheel. Since my hand is already there I would rather be able to adjust the volume and toggle through the pre-sets with my left hand.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
i dont think its possible with the stock radio. As mentioned its one wire for all buttons. I installed a pioneer head unit and steering wheel control adaptor that lets you program the buttons to your hearts content

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blastek said:
i dont think its possible with the stock radio. As mentioned its one wire for all buttons. I installed a pioneer head unit and steering wheel control adaptor that lets you program the buttons to your hearts content
No shit! Maybe that's the way I should go anyway...Thanks. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I may be wrong here, but i thought that each button was hooked to the same connection that grounds through the steering wheel and when pressed, each button has a different resistance or something. So on the other end, there is a box that decodes the ohms to see what button was pressed. There arent a bunch of wires going through the steering column from the wheel. So you would have to be able to actually switch the inserts from left to right. Like i said, i might be completely off here, but i thought thats how they did steering wheel controls.
You may be correct. If so, the fix would require the schematic of the control box and some 2M soldering. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. It's probably sealed anyway.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you guys are right, it's one wire that splits for both toggles and the resistance is pre-set and different for both, henc how it knows what toggle is doing what. Also, each toggle is a slightly different shape so I can't even swap them out with one another. It wasn't a big deal just thought if I could I would. I learn something new everyday on this forum.....thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How in the world can that be more reliable than dedicated wiring?

I have not looked but I suppose if the innards of each switch is the same shape, you could swap the two to get the right resistance on each one.

I'm in the same boat as OP. It's poor planning on Jeep's part in my opinion... especially for those of us that have MT's.

I've always questioned why more vehicles don't incorporate a automatic volume control to offset ambient noise. I had a Nissan years ago that when driving with windows down, the volume elevated as cabin noise went up.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I was looking at the steering wheel the other day wondering how the heck they could cram so much stuff in there. There are 10 separate buttons on the spokes, and 6 positions on the audio switches, plus horn and airbag connections. By my count you would need a minimum of 18 separate wires connecting in there and I couldn't imagine what kind of clock spring contraption would make that work.

I love learning new stuff. Thanks forum experts!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts