Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
just pop the center cap out and take off the retaining nut....however, to remove the wheel itself, you need a steering wheel puller, available at any parts house for 10-15 bucks.....then set it where you want it, reinstall nut, and replace center cap.....easy as pie...:thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The best way is to adjust the linkage under the front end. I am drawing a blank on the name of the bar that needs adjusting, but it is easy to spot. Look for a coupling (similar to a turnbuckle) about 4"-6" long with bolts in each end. Loosen the bolts and then use a pipe wrench to turn the coupling until the steering wheel is straight. Make sure to tighten the bolts good.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
my wheel is out off alignment can i pull and realign and if so how thanks
That is not the way to center your steering. That should be done as part of a front end alignment, doing it the correct way. An adjustment can be made with your linkage. Let a professional shop take care of it for you since you probably have never done that type of work before. Don't touch the front end if you do not know how to repair it. Some might make it sound easy. For them it might be. If you don't have the proper tools and know how to deal with rusted parts, it's not as easy as it might sound.

·
Registered
326 Posts
your drag link is what alligns your steering wheel. Super easy fix. Loosen the bolts on the sleeve then turn the sleeve with vice grips, channel locks or your hand. 10 minutes tops to fix this

·
Registered
92 Posts
Drag link! That's what it's called. Man, I'm getting old. Lol

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
does the jeep need to be off the ground to do this? my guess is no because you want to turn the wheel and not the tires, but want to ask to be sure.

·
Registered
326 Posts
do it on the ground, just be sure to unlock the steering column. A piece of tape on center upper part of the steering wheel helps as a visual guide :)

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
thanks for the reponse. tape, that's a great idea!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't NEED a steering wheel puller, but it's really helpful. If you really wanna pull one without the puller, loosen the nut, then tap around the wheel in a star pattern with a hammer or mallet, while pulling the opposite side of the place you're hitting with your hand. Takes a while, but the job gets done. Careful with the horn, inspectors get all huffy puffy when it doesn't work.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You don't NEED a steering wheel puller, but it's really helpful. If you really wanna pull one without the puller, loosen the nut, then tap around the wheel in a star pattern with a hammer or mallet, while pulling the opposite side of the place you're hitting with your hand. Takes a while, but the job gets done. Careful with the horn, inspectors get all huffy puffy when it doesn't work.
Using a hammer is NOT always the best or correct solution for any problem..this causes undue gouging and widening of the splines and can and will cause slack in the wheel...If you're going to do it RIGHT, use the wheel puller. This causes even pressure all the way around the wheel during the process and causes the splines to slide smoothly, the way they were intended to do...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts