Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Jeep Wrangler IL 6, my steering wheel started squeaking really loud when you turn it. As you can imagine it is extremely annoying. Anyone had this happen? How'd you fix it? Any input is appreciated!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
MaxTurner said:
I have a 99 Jeep Wrangler IL 6, my steering wheel started squeaking really loud when you turn it. As you can imagine it is extremely annoying. Anyone had this happen? How'd you fix it? Any input is appreciated!!
Mine does the same thing! Not all the time but it's weird that it happens..

Subscribed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Go under your dash and find where the steering column goes through the firewall. Apply either lithium grease or a silicon spray to steering column where it touches the rubber boot on the firewall."
Found this on Jeep Forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaxTurner said:
"Go under your dash and find where the steering column goes through the firewall. Apply either lithium grease or a silicon spray to steering column where it touches the rubber boot on the firewall."
I'm going to try this and see how it works. If anyone tries this or something else, let us know the results.

·
Registered
87 Posts
MaxTurner said:
Mine was squeaking a month or so back and I did the above fix an it took care of the problem. I also followed the steering shaft from top to bottom an greased any contact points with white lithium grease...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ah, colder weather. Where the "Help me get my doors off" threads are replaced by the "My steering is making weird sounds" threads

Driving mine last night, I heard my first chewbacca sound of the season. :rofl:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
Yep, spray the steeering wheel shaft where it passes through the rubber firewall boot to cure the squeak. A white lithium or silicone spray lube will work well, don't waste your time with short-lived WD40.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All the Chrysler vehicles I have ever owned done this every winter. Heard about the above mentioned fix from Click and Clack a while ago on their radio show.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Yep, spray the steeering wheel shaft where it passes through the rubber firewall boot to cure the squeak. A white lithium or silicone spray lube will work well, don't waste your time with short-lived WD40.
Report:

This fixed the noise .. Simple and cheap. Like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts