Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright before i start this is not dw, its a minor wobble i feel when going over a decent indentation in the road at high speeds. it usually does this from 60-100 km/h and it feels like my driver side wheel is wobbling after hitting the hole/bump. it does this for 2 seconds and then stops. feels unsafe/unsecure and i have a feeling it could lead up to DW.

i have read through the dw and shimmy thread before, all the pages of it and many solutions have been offered, I'm just not sure what the symptom entirely is to match it up to the write up, I'm not mechanically inclined or else id tear the whole thing apart...

My garage bud says to replace steering stab with aftermarket skyjacker one and take it from there, checked trace bar, ball joints, look solid, said i need an alignment though as i have moderate toe in. could this be the cause?

Bone stock. jku sahara unlimited, a little more insight my jk is a 2007 with roughly 107000 km. evens out to 60000 miles i believe... nothing has been changed except front axle casing, shocks and coils and control arms, and tie rod ends, original stab bar, original ball joints.

What i can describe as the problem is a very light short shimmy in the steering wheel that occurs when travelling high speeds. my mechanic said my direct is fine, and there is no play in my wheels, he noticed that my stabilizer shock was leaking oil and that I'm in need of an alignment.

That is my problem and the steps I'm going to take to try to resolve it is swap out the oem stab for a hd aftermarket and have my alignment done. now if that doesn't fix it what is my next step to take?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the alignment.

The steering stabilizer won't cause a wobble just mask it.

Oh and I like your comment
"nothing has been changed but..................lol" sorry
Will do the alignment, thanks for the heads up i will post updates!:punk:

·
Registered
356 Posts
The parts of the inspection checklist you should do include inspecting:

The ball joints--particularly the lower ball joints.
The tie rod and drag link ends.
The unit bearings.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Alright before i start this is not dw, its a minor wobble i feel when going over a decent indentation in the road at high speeds. it usually does this from 60-100 km/h and it feels like my driver side wheel is wobbling after hitting the hole/bump. it does this for 2 seconds and then stops. feels unsafe/unsecure and i have a feeling it could lead up to DW.

i have read through the dw and shimmy thread before, all the pages of it and many solutions have been offered, I'm just not sure what the symptom entirely is to match it up to the write up, I'm not mechanically inclined or else id tear the whole thing apart...

My garage bud says to replace steering stab with aftermarket skyjacker one and take it from there, checked trace bar, ball joints, look solid, said i need an alignment though as i have moderate toe in. could this be the cause?

Bone stock. jku sahara unlimited, a little more insight my jk is a 2007 with roughly 107000 km. evens out to 60000 miles i believe... nothing has been changed except front axle casing, shocks and coils and control arms, and tie rod ends, original stab bar, original ball joints.

What i can describe as the problem is a very light short shimmy in the steering wheel that occurs when travelling high speeds. my mechanic said my direct is fine, and there is no play in my wheels, he noticed that my stabilizer shock was leaking oil and that I'm in need of an alignment.

That is my problem and the steps I'm going to take to try to resolve it is swap out the oem stab for a hd aftermarket and have my alignment done. now if that doesn't fix it what is my next step to take?
As Ken indicated...thank god it's stock. :D

Get the alignment first, then see what's what. By the way, you stated that you had a "moderate toe in." You should. Oughta be 1/8". Have that checked.

What's your caster? Should be +4º to +6º, depending on lift.

Barring any of those things fixing the problem, start going through this stuff..."nothing has been changed except front axle casing, shocks and coils and control arms, and tie rod ends, original stab bar, original ball joints."

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
How are your tires? Its possible the steel belt might be bad. I had that happen on my TJ. I often would have that happen when my tires started going bald. The ball joints will definatley do it. Jack up the d/s wheel from the axle high enough that you can get a prybar ( or equivalent) underneath the middle of the tire. Then try to "pick up" the pry bar. If you feel play...as to say that you feel the wheel moves up a little independent from the axle..then you have bad ball joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts