Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in less than 5 seconds*· #1

94 yj

Having steering issues. We have replaced ball joints, tierods, wheelbearings, stabilizer bar, gear box, track bar, upper bearings on steering column next to shaft. Have a new lower steering shaft put on but it seems loose at upper shaft point. It has also been aligned and tires balanced. But still have loose steering to where you are like sawing back snd forth to keep it straight on the road. Any suggestion please and thank you.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
do you have lift shackles? If you do that is your problem

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
If you took it to an alignment shop they should have told you caster was off. Lift shackles will loose caster and the jeep will not track straight down the road you will be constantly correcting it. You can measure how far the angle is off and buy shims to correct it or get rid of the shackle lift.

Also factory alignment spec for toe in is 0* but if you have big off road tires it generally helps to toe it in a little bit. Most alignment shops will just set toe in because it is easy and wont even mess with caster if they have to shim it because they are lazy or dont have the shims to correct it. And they set toe to factory specs with tiny stock tires and you need a little toe for bigger tires. You are better off doing an alignment yourself in the driveway you can do a better job than the monkeys at most alignment shops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do you live, we are in South Carolina.. Want to visit.. LOL...... it is crazy how much we have replaced on this and it seems like we are not getting anywhere.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Took it to get aligned twice, and they didnt say a thing. What does it intell to change it.

Installing a shim between the leaf spring and the spring perch on the axle. You should measure the caster angle to see what it is and how much shim you need to fix it. But you will probbaly end up needing about a 2* shim you should use steel shims and YJ springs are 2.5" wide. You can buy shims here they are sold individually and you will need 2 https://www.wfoconcepts.com/cr/2-5-Inch-Axle-Shims/3225/4383

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
UTUBE probably has videos on alignments. I'll bet most of them will show you how to set the toe-in and nothing more on a YJ.
You'll want to search UTUBE for "Do an alignment on a YJ Wrangler". YJs have leaf springs and don't have a way to correct caster and camber. The leaf springs hold the axle in place and aren't adjustable. If you simply search "Jeep alignment" you'll get how to align a TJ or newer Wrangler. TJs have coil springs and the arms that hold the axle in place should be adjustable.

When you don't know a part name or a repair name, Google will be your friend. If you don't know the name of a particular part (you can see it but don't know the name) google the area it's in (Front suspension, rear suspension cooling system or wherever the part may be).

Google the terms, "caster", "camber" and "toe in". Once you're familiar with the terms, you'll see how caster affects steering.

Think of a bicycle. Look at the steering head. You'll see it isn't perfectly perpendicular (straight up and down). It has an angle with the lower part being further ahead than the upper part. A bicycle has so many degrees of positive caster that's determined by the bike makers. That's what allows the bicycle rider to ride with no hands. Caster makes for steering stability.
If the bicycle steering head was perfectly straight up and down, you could make the bike turn in smaller circles, but it couldn't be ridden with no hands.

If all this is too much for a beginner, I suggest that you take the Jeep to a 4X4 shop that specializes in lifted 4X4 alignments. Ask for an estimate and post the estimate here for advice.
agalloch07 is correct, in that the factory spec for toe is 0 for stock suspension and tires.
Wider tires should have 1/8 to 1/4" toe in. Most techs in tire stores that do alignments probably are unaware of this.

Your shackle bolts should measure 4" from center to center. If they measure 6" from bolt center to center, you have 1" lift shackles.
1- What size tires do you have?
2- Do you have a lift and if so, how much?
Don't be shy about asking questions. There's a lot of help available here.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I have 2.5 lift with 33 inch tires, I noticed my shackle looks shifted on the drivers side and the leaf springs looks like it is trying to turn. Someone told us that had nothing to do with the steering. Im guessing they were completly wrong?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I believe I have 2.5 lift with 33 inch tires, I noticed my shackle looks shifted on the drivers side and the leaf springs looks like it is trying to turn. Someone told us that had nothing to do with the steering. Im guessing they were completly wrong?

Leaf spring bushings at the steering gear are under more wear and tear because of the torque of the steering box so they wear out faster. Unless it's really bad i would just live with it because you will be replacing the bushings annually it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I would strongly recommend putting stock shackles back on the Jeep

1 - 14 of 14 Posts