Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are Limb Risers?
• Limb Risers are the steel cables that run from the fender up to the top of the vehicles windshield. Their purpose is to keep tree limbs and branches from hitting your windshield or scratching your paint.

o On a side note they can stop hood flutter by creating upward tension while your hood catch creates downward tension

o On one of my favorite limb riser threads someone posted the picture below saying "Limb risers aren't just for limbs" :lmao:

ForumRunner_20110226_191039.jpg

Why I picked Steinjager:

1566-750x750.jpg

• They first caught my eye when I attended the PA All-breeds Jeep Show. They had the best craftsmanship out of all the other brands I had researched. They are very professionally made.

o The cables are coated to prevent corrosion and scratching of paint when hood is up

o They are easily adjustable unlike other brands

o Stainless steel construction - So no stubborn rust
*Mounts are not stainless but do have a durable powder coat

o They swivel at the ends to prevent bending of the cable when hood is up

o They can be run with any fender unlike tough stuff’s which goes between the stock fender and the flare

o They are QUICK DISCONNECT!
Now you may ask what do you need disconnect for?
You can put them on in seconds before off-roading if you do not like the looks or are afraid they might be tampered with in a parking lot
Just simply pop the hood latches to relieve tension and disconnect

Here is a quick video I did to review these limb risers; showing how they work, how to disconnect them, and a few thoughts: Steinjager's Quick Disconnect Limb Risers - A Review ( Jeep Tj ) - YouTube

Installation:

All you need is a 10mm socket and wrench, an 11mm socket and wrench, a Philips head screwdriver and a drill

First I'll give you Steinjagers instructions, then how I did it because I was to lazy to read for something that simple.

Steinjagers:

1. Install the hood latch bracket
2. install the ball stud to the hood latch bracket.
3. Install the Quick disconnect ball joints about half way on both ends of the cable
4. Install the second ball stud to the windshield bracket (prior to installing the bracket to the A-pillar)
5. Install the cable to both ball studs
6. Hold the windshield bracket in place with the cable taunt and mark the two holes
7. Drill the two pilot holes in the A-pillar
8. Disconnect one end of the cable and install the windshield bracket with the supplied screws
9. Re-install the cable to both ends and adjust the length as necessary. Popping the hood latches prior to adjusting the tension will help pulling the cable tight.

How I did it:

1. I put the quick disconnect ball stud on all 4 mounts using a 10mm wrench and an 11mm socket
rsz_dscn0698.jpg
2. I attached the hood bracket, which you will notice can face only one way
rsz_dscn0715.jpg
3. I then drilled the holes and attached the upper brackets. You will notice there is a driver and a passanger side. The steinjager logo should be pointed up. I would hold the bracket and mark the first hole then drill it out and place the first screw in. The second hole I drilled with the bracket on to ensure proper alignment.
rsz_dscn0726.jpg
4. Adjust the cable so that it it tense when latches are closed and loose enough to disconnect when not. The quick disconnect fitting just screws in/out to adjust with a lock nut behind it.

These are awesome limb risers and I definitely recommend them.
You can Buy Them Here: http://steinjager.com/shop/index.ph...=Limb+Riser+Kit&tierFive=&tierSix=&tierSeven=

That concludes my review. I will post more final pictures but I ran out of room on this one.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
If this thread has anyone interested in picking up a set of Steinjager Limb Risers, be sure to shoot me a PM for a quote. I'll get you a great deal on a set!

-Ryan

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Can you tell me the thickness of the coated wire? 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"? Looks like a great product.

It looks like 1/8" wire that is coated. Let me know if you have any other questions at all!

-Ryan

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the trail mirrors. Goes in the door hinge, stays put with a magnet. Goes on in seconds. They work great. Make sure you get the can holder they make for the lower hinge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts