Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 79 CJ5 last week. Had previously lived on a 160 acre cattle ranch in north GA. I rolled the dice and drive her 180 miles back to our home in AL, staying on back roads to avoid the interstates. Drove mostly 45 - 55 MPH. She's now at our lake house, another 70 miles on back roads, where she'll live out her life working our land and shoreline. She is exactly what I wanted in terms of condition but have a few questions about what I have. Previous owner knew very little and saw it strictly as a ranch Jeep.

I'll post some pictures with question below. Appreciate any insights ya'll can provide.
Tire Water Wheel Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Window Vehicle

Bead Lock wheels, real or fake? Brand?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Hubs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Replacement motor - turbo fire, bored .30 over
Road surface Font Floor Asphalt Flooring

Dash, original (except radio and Oil gauge). BTW, nothing works but speedo.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Gauge Car

Best top seats? Awesome by the way, very comfortable.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

No tailgate? Original style tub or welded shut?
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Two inch lift?
Office ruler Wood Composite material Gas Beam

Front suspension
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I'll post engine picks next

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some topside engine pictures. I did an Oil Change before taking her to the lake. Seems to have a newer radiator, fuel pump, starter, alternator, and that Weber carb doesn't look too bad inside. Those plugs! Can't believe they are still firing. Pulled two and they both looked the same.
Light Motor vehicle Car Gas Automotive fuel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive exterior Vehicle

Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Metal Engineering

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
Looks good.

If it runs hot at idle or slow progress on the trails, you should check into finding a fan shroud. If a shroud isn't available, an thermostatically controlled electric fan would be my second choice.
How does it run with the new plugs?

You should get a lot of enjoyment for years to come.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and recommendations. I've not had any issues with her running hot, yet - but will remember the fan shroud suggestion if I do. She definitely runs better with the new plugs. Obviously has been running rich for some time. Looks like the PO had new wires and cap put on. I replaced the rotor as well as the plugs. Long overdue! Very surprised at how well she was running on these plugs...and that she got me 300 miles from where I bought her. I discovered a slow leak at master cylinder so that'll be next. Pedal is firm but I always say work on the whoa before working on the go!
Auto part Gas Metal Fashion accessory Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts