Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for my electrical ignorance. I have an 800 w amp powering my sub and it blew the main inline 40A inline fuse on the power wire that runs directly off the positive battery terminal. I did a Mickey Mouse extension on the ground wire, and found it had shorted out on the body after a day of wheeling. After correcting the short and isolating it, I put a new fuse in and it blew immediately again. Where the [email protected] to I go from here!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Where is your ground wire? Mine is a about 1-1/2' from my amp, connected to my tub. I don't know why your ground should be shorting out, unless it was run all the way to the battery. You don't need a ground that long. That could be your problem too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,087 Posts
You do not need to run a ground wire that long to battery. Keep it short and close to the amp to a clean bare metal ground.What size wire (gauge) are you using to power your amp? There's a chance the power wire is too small or a greater probability there's a short in it's connection, especially if the fuse blows immediately when you install it. Disconnect both ends of the power cable and check it to ground with a multitester.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top