Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Communications and Electronics section a couple days ago, but haven't gotten any responses. Hoping I can get some help here.

So on my way to the shooting range, I was driving down a washboard road, when suddenly, after one little bump, my stock stereo died. No sound, no lights, nothing. I turned it off and turned it back on, nothing. I thought maybe a blown fuse. No big deal, I'll look into it when I get home.

I got to the range, shot for a couple hours, and when I fired the Jeep up to leave, the stereo was working fine, and continued to work fine for the remainder of the day.

Anybody ever had this happen? Anybody know why it happened?

Edit to add:
It happened again the next day, once again on a washboard road. It cut out, was dead for about ten minutes, then came back on for about 10 seconds, and died again. After shutting the jeep off for a minute or two, I fired it back up and it worked fine for the rest of the day. Of course, from that point on, it was all smooth roads.

I don't know if the stereo itself is starting to go out, or if it's something to do with the power source.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sounds to me like a speaker wire might be shorting out. That would put the internal amplifer on the radio into protection mode. I would try to pull the speakers first and see if there are wires shorting out onto the basket of the speaker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. It was a shorted speaker wire in one of the speakers in the sound bar like Lilyeller said.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I replaced a stock unit last winter in a WJ--that had same unit as my stock TJ--when it started "going out" that is how it happened. Than one day it didn't come back on ---at all. Got new head unit and installed worked fine from than on. Liked that head unit enough replaced stock unit in my TJ--even though it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the speaker wires tomorrow. That sounds logical. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Check your key. My key started becomming loose in the ignition. When it pulled out slightly from going over bumps, the radio died.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your key. My key started becomming loose in the ignition. When it pulled out slightly from going over bumps, the radio died.
OK, I'll try that on the way to work this morning. THX

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I tried wiggling the key, that didn't do anything. I checked all 4 speakers for a possible grounding issue, nothing. Only other thing I can think of is possibly a bad ground on the stereo itself.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had this same thing happen. When the key is pulled outward, the radio power stopped. If I pushed it back inward, the radio came back on.
I had a new key made and it corrected the problem. Must be caused by some wear in the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
So I tried wiggling the key, that didn't do anything. I checked all 4 speakers for a possible grounding issue, nothing. Only other thing I can think of is possibly a bad ground on the stereo itself.

Like said above, with the engine running, pull out on the key. (mine will come out with the engine running)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Its possible that the radio has a ground issue. Or possibe that there is something rattling around in there. I had a customer with a similar issue and it turned out to be $3.46 in change inside the radio >.< ouch. not saying that its the same thing but since we checked all the more common issues that is the line I would follow next.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I haven't had any problems with it on regular roads, just washboards. I'll look into it more this weekend. I was hoping not to have to replace it, but if I do, it's not the end of the world.

While we're on that subject, does anyone know if the factory subwoofer will work with an aftermarket head unit? Anything special I'd need to do in the install?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes it will work. The factory sub uses the 4 speaker inputs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone ever find the fix? My 2000s speakers all cut out when I hit bumps but the head unit doesn’t shut down. I have re wired 2 new head units and still can’t find the issue

·
Retired Moderator
100,614 Posts
Anyone ever find the fix? My 2000s speakers all cut out when I hit bumps but the head unit doesn’t shut down. I have re wired 2 new head units and still can’t find the issue
Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts