Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I have been noticing that my stereo cuts out all of a sudden randomly. It sometimes comes back on on its own however sometimes i need to restart the jeep to get it working again. Power to the dashboard is still there. ambient lighting is still on so I know that it is the stereo itself. Anyone have any ideas what might be happening and how I could fix it/check out what the actual problem is?

It's the stock stereo in the 2003 TJ wrangler if that helps any. If its the stereo then that gives me a reason to get a new one:thumb:. But if it's something else that may need to be replaced or fixed, then i should probably get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope I am not showing my age with this but:

Could be your alternator is about to go. That was the first sign I had in my 97. Radio would cut in and out. Bad reception.

Can you get your alternator tested at a local AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc?

Let us know pal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also check your battery terminals...if they're corroded/loose that could make the radio turn off randomly. Just fixed that on my work truck this week

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, Sounds good guys. Ill give it a shot when I'm back at home tonight.

Thanks again

·
Registered
681 Posts
Stock or aftermarket stereo? Does just the sound cut out, or does the whole radio loose power?

You could have a speaker lead grounding out or a blown speaker - aftermarket stereo's go into protect mode when this happens and all audio cuts out. It will return when the radio is reset or if the fault goes away, like if you hit a bump and the wire moves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the original stock stereo. I thought it might be dying as well but it comes back on like nothing ever happened... I figured there might be a short or something but havent had the time to take a look back there.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The most obvious is pull the radio and make sure all plugs are seated tightly. A loose connector or wire connections could be the culprit but its more likely that 10yr old radio is on its last leg,begging you to retire it by giving you these hints.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also check your battery terminals...if they're corroded/loose that could make the radio turn off randomly. Just fixed that on my work truck this week
I had this issue in my Accord on Monday. I used a flat head screwdriver to get the corrosion off then took sandpaper along with a wire brush to finish up. Then a old toothbrush with some baking soda and water to clean up terminal and battery post.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
When the radio quits try the turn signals. Radio & signals get power from the same contacts in the ignition switch. If both go out at the same time you may need a new switch. Not expensive & not hard to replace.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is the original stock stereo. I thought it might be dying as well but it comes back on like nothing ever happened... I figured there might be a short or something but havent had the time to take a look back there.

i'd check the ground cable on back of radio if power drops.:)

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Is your key loose? My key or ignition cylinder is worne out and the key can pull out. When this happens the stock stereo went off. It only needed to come out slightly for the power to go off. Note it does not do it with my aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does it do it when you use your turn signal and does it sometimes not turn on at all when you start it? If so it's your ignition switch. Mine did this for like a year and a half till I figured it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey I will tell you its the radio in your 2003. I had the same problem and put a post on here and everyone that had the problem I think was on a 2003. Same problem with each and every one of us... Just go out and buy a new one with installation kit and be happy. Quadratec has some nice ones.
Ben

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Havent felt the key come loose and nothing else loses power in the console. The lights in the stereo itself all still light up when I turn on the head lights. I havent been able to check the battery terminals in a week or two but there has been nothing wrong with the battery when I looked at it before. I think either the stereo is on it's last legs or it just is the stereo itself. If it is, then I get a new stereo!:dance: So I don't mind that at all. The only thing that I notice is that it does randomly come back on while I'm driving... no bumps, no turn signals, nothing, like it has a mind of it's own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out the key is coming loose from the steering column. Damn. No new stereo at the moment. But thanks everyone. Looks like i just gotta get the ignition fixed.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yep it was driving me crazy till i figured it out, everything else stayed on except for the stereo. It may be the key or the ignition cyclinder. Try the key first. Get one cut by the dealer from the VIN. If you get one cut from you old key, they are going to just trace the worn one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing for awhile, radio goes off and i lose turn signals. Haven't got around to looking into it. Most of the time i just restart it on the move :p . manual

1 - 20 of 26 Posts