Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I put a new stereo in and new front speakers. The old stereo had one issue that bugged me that I though getting a new one would fix, but it's doing the same thing with the new one and new speakers.

When the radio is on, or when my sirus (which is a separate unit) is running through the aux cable to the stereo, I have this really high pitched squeal that you can really hear when the music changes to someone speaking like in a commercial or when I listen to talk radio. When I have my phone playing the music through the bluetooth connection or through the aux cable, that squeal is not there. The squeal changes "pitch" as I accelerate and when I get off the gas it almost goes away.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!! LOL, I am about to go crazy (oh wait....crazier :whistling:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,108 Posts
It sounds like it is picking up alternator whine from being connected to the wrong power source. I'm betting that moving where your stereo system is getting its power from directly to the battery (or at least a different/better source of power) will cure it. My guess is its power lead was connected to a different power source than the OE radio normally uses.

Another possible source of the noise if the above isn't the issue... have you ever swapped in so-called "low resistance" ignition wiring or non-resistor spark plugs? If so, that will cause noise in a radio or stereo.

One last thought... many cell phone or GPS cigarette lighter power cords generate lots of electrical noise. If you have one of those plugged into a cigarette lighter or aux power receptacle, unplug it and see if the noise in your stereo goes away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
It sounds like it is picking up alternator whine from being connected to the wrong power source. I'm betting that moving where your stereo system is getting its power from directly to the battery (or at least a different/better source of power) will cure it. My guess is its power lead was connected to a different power source than the OE radio normally uses.

Another possible source of the noise if the above isn't the issue... have you ever swapped in so-called "low resistance" ignition wiring or non-resistor spark plugs? If so, that will cause noise in a radio or stereo.

One last thought... many cell phone or GPS cigarette lighter power cords generate lots of electrical noise. If you have one of those plugged into a cigarette lighter or aux power receptacle, unplug it and see if the noise in your stereo goes away.
Could be a week ground too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mr. Jerry :) I will check all those. The radio I replaced was aftermarket, and I just hooked the new harness into the old one, so it could be the PO did something like that.

And yes, my GPS is plugged into the "lighter" socket so I will unplug and see if that changes anything.

Also, I don't know about the plugs or ignition wiring as it's not something I've gotten into yet, so I will check those if the first two ideas don't work.

And 02TJ, I will check that also as I just hooked into the old ground when I switched out the radios.

Thank you both much for the ideas for things to go chase :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Doublebarr said:
Thank you Mr. Jerry :) I will check all those. The radio I replaced was aftermarket, and I just hooked the new harness into the old one, so it could be the PO did something like that.

And yes, my GPS is plugged into the "lighter" socket so I will unplug and see if that changes anything.

Also, I don't know about the plugs or ignition wiring as it's not something I've gotten into yet, so I will check those if the first two ideas don't work.

And 02TJ, I will check that also as I just hooked into the old ground when I switched out the radios.

Thank you both much for the ideas for things to go chase :)
Not a problem good luck!!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,108 Posts
My Garmin GPS's cigarette lighter adapter was the source of my radio's soft whine that was very noticeable between music tracks or during gaps in a radio station's chatter. Since I use the GPS all the time and couldn't live with the whine, my solution was to cut the cigarette lighter plug off & wire the GPS's power cord directly into the clean source of power (direct from the battery) I had added for my CB and ham radios which totally cured its noise issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts