Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my JK with the alpine upgrade, so that I get the amp and the integrated sub. Will i benefit from swapping the speakers, or are there better speakers installed in the alpine kit? I didnt' love the sound in the JK at the dealership... bass tended to break up at high volume. but it was still way better than the base model without the alpine upgrade.

thoughts?

Charles.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
By all means, upgrade.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Alpine Upgrade

I ordered the same. My Jeep had the Alpine Upgrade along with the 8" sub in the back with a 130N Head Unit. The speakers just plain suck. You need to replace all 6 speakers (4 ohms) along with a better sub and then put in an amp, PAC and LOC. There are many references to this at this forum. Do a search and you will find out what many of us has done.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Ton of threads on it. Or check the electronics forum.

You can replace the speakers, (that is what I did), but the premium system is a 2 ohm system. If you want the best sound, get ready to spend some money. You will need new amps, new speakers, and depending on how you set it up, converters or a new HU.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My new Jeep came with the Alpine "premium":rofl: as well. Already gutted the entire system. New Nav, Focal Access Speakers, JL 10W6 Sub, etc. Just do yourself the favor and irritation and just gut the thing. Im keeping all my Alpine equip to go back to stock if I sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mopar Premium Sound

ordering a 2014 with the Mopar premium sound upgrade. is this a waste of money, ie get the basic sound system and upgrade speakers from there?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
ordering a 2014 with the Mopar premium sound upgrade. is this a waste of money, ie get the basic sound system and upgrade speakers from there?
Not sure how 'premium' the MOPAR system is, but the 130 was terrible. We just upgraded to a Pioneer 8500 with Polk 650/6510 and an Infiniti bass link and MAN!!! That jeep ROCKS! :punk: :D

Also nice that the 8500 will allow you to connect to your iPhone/iPad for apps on screen, too. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Some like it. Many don't. I think much depends on how important your music is to you - if you've had good quality systems in your vehicles before, then you're likely to be unimpressed by the stock and the premium options, so if that's the case save your money and spend it on after market.

The premium upgrade is better than the stock system, and it's probably (just about) worth the extra $400 if you've really no desire to do any upgrade work yourself. If you have the willingness to spend a few hours replacing some components once you have the Jeep, there are much better ways of spending the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts