Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 4.2 the temp gauge wasn't working when I purchased it so I checked the sending unit to see it it was plugged in. Nope. So I plugged it in and it worked for a day. I replaced thermostat thermo housing and coolant sending unit. It still doesn't work. I pulled the dash apart tonight and couldn't see anything that looked messes up. Am I forgetting something? What else can I do? The gauge flickers just a tad when I turn the key onto the "on" position.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
where was the "sending unit" located on the engine? front or rear of engine?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Unplug the sending unit on the rear of the head on the drivers side right next to the valve cover and plug a grounded test light into the wire and turn the key on, if the temp gauge shoots up then you know the gauge and the wiring is good, which means it would be the temp sending unit. Its $10 at autozone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H2_recoveryteam said:
Unplug the sending unit on the rear of the head on the drivers side right next to the valve cover and plug a grounded test light into the wire and turn the key on, if the temp gauge shoots up then you know the gauge and the wiring is good, which means it would be the temp sending unit. Its $10 at autozone.
In my first post it states that I have already replaced it

·
Registered
610 Posts
have you replaced the coolant temp sensor. my guage will jump to 100 but then never move. that was my problem. And its sixteen dollars at Auto Zone i checked yesterday while working there

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MMata77 said:
have you replaced the coolant temp sensor. my guage will jump to 100 but then never move. that was my problem. And its sixteen dollars at Auto Zone i checked yesterday while working there
Not yet. I will replace that.

·
Registered
610 Posts
just replaced my temp sensor. Gauge still not working. Guess i will mount a new gauge. Let me know if you figure it out:banghead:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MMata77 said:
just replaced my temp sensor. Gauge still not working. Guess i will mount a new gauge. Let me know if you figure it out:banghead:
Can you post a picture of your temp sensor please?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts