Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2" SL on my Jeep and I have had some vibes. I finally got around to installing a MML and the vibes are still there, but slightly reduced... What else could this be? I have a soft top and a winch so my front is pointed down slightly more than normal which can be effecting the driveline angles. I can update this later with my actual angles of my driveline. All my front and rear u-joints are new. These vibes happen around 45-50ish and increase in severity based on the amount of throttle applied.

The whole reason I went with 2" instead of 3"+ was to avoid this whole headache of chasing down vibes :pullinghair:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had tires balanced lately.
Yes. The rims are a little tweaked they said but that shouldn't be a tire balance issue. The reason I say this is because the severity increases when I apply more throttle or if I am in a lower gear... which makes me think it's a driveline (rear driveshaft angle) issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
At rest, the U joint angle coming out of transfer case needs to be equal and opposite to the u joint angle going into the differential. Any significant difference causes the shaft going into the diff to have a slight speed variation, which can cause a vibration and failure of seals and bearings.

Reactions: T.Wagner

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well that sucks. I know you have tried a bunch of stuff but, have you pulled the shafts and tried driving on one then the other to eliminate which one is vibrating?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that sucks. I know you have tried a bunch of stuff but, have you pulled the shafts and tried driving on one then the other to eliminate which one is vibrating?
The front isn't a problem. I drove without it and vibe was still there. I haven't pulled the rear though because I have an auto locker in my front diff...

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could just be your tires. Knobby tires give you vibrations. I have a buddy with a brand new Super Duty and hes got a big 7" lift with 40" Swampers and it vibrates and shimmies because of the tread grabbing the road. Knobby tires and tires with lots of lugs often vibrate. And be sure to check your fluids. Diff fluids can cause vibrations as they arent lubricating the gears well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The front isn't a problem. I drove without it and vibe was still there. I haven't pulled the rear though because I have an auto locker in my front diff...
Yea, that would be, interesting, at 70 mph :D

It could just be your tires. Knobby tires give you vibrations. I have a buddy with a brand new Super Duty and hes got a big 7" lift with 40" Swampers and it vibrates and shimmies because of the tread grabbing the road. Knobby tires and tires with lots of lugs often vibrate. And be sure to check your fluids. Diff fluids can cause vibrations as they aren't lubricating the gears well.
40" Swampers are an entirely different beast from his 31" all terrains. As far as the "diff fluid" thing, no.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea, that would be, interesting, at 70 mph :D

40" Swampers are an entirely different beast from his 31" all terrains. As far as the "diff fluid" thing, no.

The diff fluid could very well be it. On my JK my Dana 44HD rear diff had very very thick contaminated fluid and was giving me strange vibrations. I dropped the diff cover and let the diff fluid drain sprayed down the interior with brake cleaner to get rid of any sludge and did a new diff cover. new fluid made a world of difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts