Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot seem to find the engine squeal that I have. I have replaced the tensioner pully, idler pully, and the belt. Seems to be coming from the drivers side. Any ideas? Thanks, Scooby

·
Registered
407 Posts
More info please. What are the conditions when the squeel happens? For example, my engine squeels every so often (though happening more often as of late) at 2500 rpms. Thinking idler pully but been to lazy to tear it apart and check. Give us a little more info as to what is happening in order to help with suggestions.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So, first question, how did you set your belt tension ? Osmosis, best guess, twist and guess, looks good, push with your thumb till your under fingernail gets to the correct color ? or did you do it correctly with a $14 KRIKIT II tension gauge from NAPA to get a used belt to 170lbs or a new belt to 190lbs :D :D :D
The first four methods generally get you to the 90-120lb ball park, thats for real, you need 170 on a used belt [one run more then 15 min] and 190 for a new belt [one run less than 15 min].

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info please. What are the conditions when the squeel happens? For example, my engine squeels every so often (though happening more often as of late) at 2500 rpms. Thinking idler pully but been to lazy to tear it apart and check. Give us a little more info as to what is happening in order to help with suggestions.

It happens at idle, give it a little throttle and it goes away, it may come right back, or it may not come back at all. Scooby

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, first question, how did you set your belt tension ? Osmosis, best guess, twist and guess, looks good, push with your thumb till your under fingernail gets to the correct color ? or did you do it correctly with a $14 KRIKIT II tension gauge from NAPA to get a used belt to 170lbs or a new belt to 190lbs :D :D :D
The first four methods generally get you to the 90-120lb ball park, thats for real, you need 170 on a used belt [one run more then 15 min] and 190 for a new belt [one run less than 15 min].

How would you tighten the belt with the auto tensioner? Scooby

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
IMO - It sounds like the belt is still loose. Check to see if any of your accessories are loose (a/c, power steering) Perhaps you have an issue with one of them (e.g. cracked mounting bracket, cracked pulley or bad pulley bearing).

Take off the belt and manually inspect each pulley to see if there is excessive play. Try to move each pulley by hand (up and down and side to side). If it moves more than 1/8" you probably have a bad shaft bearing and the component will need to be replaced.

Let us know how you do. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem look under the hood

I cannot seem to find the engine squeal that I have. I have replaced the tensioner pully, idler pully, and the belt. Seems to be coming from the drivers side. Any ideas? Thanks, Scooby

I was having the same problem and read so many diff ways to find out what it was and most ppl say to just replace all of it but don have the money for stuff not broken and like the guy at the parts place told me last time i rplaced something not broken n just messed it up way more (spent around 1000$ and replaced same part about 5 times and ended up being a 200$ part and undo all other work i had done then problem was solved) but point being all i had to do to find out what was causeing squeal and what to replace was pop the hood start her up after inspecting belt and its in good shape was watch the pullys and give it some gas and sparks started shooting out idler pully telling me that the bearing was shot and let me know what i needed to replace. I do all my own work and from my 1980 chevy wich u can usualy just look at and find the problem with the jeep you have to take a little more time deff read up on but look at many post for ideas most of the time you just have to spend a little more time under the hood and watch and listen closely and you will find the problem i just had to get a new idler pully for 20$ and replace that and im not sure what dude is talking about auto tensoner i worker in a gerage in high school and wether it was a new car or old if possible make a mark on the rod that tightens it all up and when u tighten it back up tighten until you hit the mark or feal before you loosen it up and when you tighten it all bcak up get it the same tightness as before and you should be good if noise still happens then tighten or loosen tell it stops but dont just take off and hope it stops because youll probably just mess up the new parts and have to buy them again. hope this helps you out some

·
Registered
313 Posts
Jeeps don't use manual tensioners like older vehicles did. They use automatic (spring operated) tensioners. By the way, this thread is 5 years old....

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 99 4.0L has a manual tensioner as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts