Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 TJ Sport 5 speed Manual has been giving me fits lately.

When I give it gas and it hits 2000 RPM the Jeep jumps/stalls when I shift the problem goes away until I hit 2000 RPM again. When Idling I can rev up engine to 3000 rpm no problems of hesitations.

All error codes pointed to Crankshaft Pos. Sensor So I replaced it. Did nto clear up issue. So 2nd sign was the Camshaft Pos. Sensor. (under the dist. cap) I replaced it today. Still have the same issues. Engine still has a jump..

Error code for self Diag. was 12, 11, 55.. Better than I got yesterday 12,11,11,11,55....

Any help would be Awesome... Tired of throwing money at problem.....

Error code 11
No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking.
Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.
CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Have you made any other changes to the firing order or anything else in recent past?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought it. I have noticed that the Distributor cap looks brand new. Guy I bought it from said he did a tune up...

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
so to recap.. in N can rev as high as you want to no issues... in any gear as soon as you get close to 2k rpm it will die correct? I would run it by a true code reader vs the self diag. and see if anything else is in there.. throttle position sensor comes to mind..but that is a just guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4Jeepn It does not die when I hit 2000RPM, it just jumps soon as I shift it runs fine. If I am driving in 5th gear 60 MPH, it is fine but if I get over that it has a jump in the motor. Idling it can rev up with no issues.

Auto Zone gave me these codes

p0320 Crnakshaft position sensor signal is monitored for errors. Probable cause crank sensor defective. check connector and wiring to sensor check trigger wheel for damage.

p1398- Misfire adaptive numerator at limit condition. Explanation has detected the crank sensor position does not agree with the expect crank sensor position. Probable cause crank sensor is improperly installed. Poor connection or defective crank sensor . Low cylinder compression.

p1391- CMP or CKP signal intermittent condition. Explanation the ECM detected the actual CMP position disagreed with the expected CMP level. Probable cause timing belt or chain stretched or jumped. Defective CMP sensor.

So I replaced the Camshaft Pos. Sensor and the Crankshaft Sensor.... Still having same issues..

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 98 TJ Sahara had a misfire/hesitation on an intermittent basis. Would seem to accelerate fine but cruising at around 30mph it would misfire and hesitate. By putting the throttle to the floor it seemed to momentarily fix the issues for about 10 min. I replaced wires, cap, TPS, IAC, plugs, etc. A friend mentioned to unplug the O2 sensor. Voila, the issue went away. Replaced sensor and problem no longer exists.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Check all Ground connections. It could be a bad ground. Also check the battery cable harness for corrosion, as this can cause intermittent power to the sensors giving the PCM
/ECU incorrect info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts