Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am currently a student in the IB program (high school) and i am doing an engineering paper. I am going to do a stinger bumper build that will cover the dynamics and the engineering into building one and i will attempt to build the "perfect stinger" i guess you could say.. lol, but I'm hoping i got some of y'alls attention. i will be posting my progress over the summer and add FEW pictures as i am thinking of trying to patent this particular design. Essentially it has to deal with the friction of a stinger assisting the climb in a large approach angle. i understand it sounds confusing but as i said i will be posting pictures and updating my progress. just posting this to see if anyone has any ideas and i can guarantee there will be many questions on my behalf! lol if anyone has built a stinger i may want some pictures along with your process and thoughts. that would be very helpful! thank you all very much!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Good luck with it. I will follow the thread.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hello all!
I am currently a student in the IB program (high school) and i am doing an engineering paper. I am going to do a stinger bumper build that will cover the dynamics and the engineering into building one and i will attempt to build the "perfect stinger" i guess you could say.. lol, but I'm hoping i got some of y'alls attention. i will be posting my progress over the summer and add FEW pictures as i am thinking of trying to patent this particular design. Essentially it has to deal with the friction of a stinger assisting the climb in a large approach angle. i understand it sounds confusing but as i said i will be posting pictures and updating my progress. just posting this to see if anyone has any ideas and i can guarantee there will be many questions on my behalf! lol if anyone has built a stinger i may want some pictures along with your process and thoughts. that would be very helpful! thank you all very much!
IF you think it is something new and novel, AND you are thinking about submitting it for a patent, I would certainly wait until you have something designed and submitted before posting it on the World Wide Web.

Good luck with your project. It will be a fun and great learning experience for you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to be very cautious about what i post for the reasons of security with the patent although i REALLY want to share... haha, has anyone had any experience building one on their own? i am a novice welder so its not going to be pretty! haha, also how would y'all recommend to bend the tube?... i want it to look uniform and not have it all bent out of shape... i know the sand in the tube trick but I'm unsure how to get the desired shape and angle i want, any ideas? or other methods? thanks a lot for the support everyone!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't wait to follow...good luck build me one lol
i would love to build you one honestly if i can figure out the prototype!! haha, financing this project is the only concern... and if you like the design too because I'm not sure how appealing it will be... haha, it'll either be the coolest, most unique stinger, or the ugliest piece of shit! lol, guess we'll find out later!

305 Posts
I'm going to be very cautious about what i post for the reasons of security with the patent although i REALLY want to share... haha, has anyone had any experience building one on their own? i am a novice welder so its not going to be pretty! haha, also how would y'all recommend to bend the tube?... i want it to look uniform and not have it all bent out of shape... i know the sand in the tube trick but I'm unsure how to get the desired shape and angle i want, any ideas? or other methods? thanks a lot for the support everyone!
A press? Uhhh im not sure. Perhaps you can bend it yourself if you have enough weight on one side then apply some weight of your own on another off the edge of a counter or something.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You need a tube bender that can handle the size of the tube you are trying to bend. You also probably need to heat the tube before bending for uniform finish and easy bend. Might be easy to get it bent in a fabrication shop...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What class is this for? I'm in IB at my school but we don't have an engineering class.
its actually for the Extended Essay! I'm doing it under design technology, but we don't have that class either... many schools don't but my teacher who has laid everything out for us with the extended essay was an aero craft engineer and he said he could be my mentor. The design technology field actually seems pretty simple to me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just trying to find the easiest and most economical way really... I'm thinking a tube bender would be the best way because I've seen some fairly cheap. This project has a VERY tight budget considering I'm only a high school student...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good quality tubing bender is the only way to get a consistent bend.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unfortunately, this plan may fall through... i want to follow through with this very badly but do not have funding for it... its going to cost a few hundred dollars and have not been able to get any funding for it whatsoever and i am unable to pay for it myself.. no help from the parents or any corporations around here...very sorry if i got anyones hopes up! lol, but i hope someone else has the opportunity to do this! i was very excited about it but its falling through, i would highly recommend it!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer id let you use my shop.... The problem with most stingers... Way to big... No proper support to hold the weight/impact....

My TJ on the right has destroyed a car, and I use it to nerf my buddies whenever possible.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Too bad you weren't closer id let you use my shop.... The problem with most stingers... Way to big... No proper support to hold the weight/impact....

My TJ on the right has destroyed a car, and I use it to nerf my buddies whenever possible.....
that would honestly be absolutely amazing if i were close... because i have a shop here that is my dad's but it is just a cluster **** and i would be surprised if you could find anything you're actually looking for in there! haha, but i did find a way to support it and have it all pretty much figured out... i just don't have the funding unfortunately...

Find a metal shop or order a generic stinger.
i have tried metal shops and off road shops here and they said they do not have the time and/or money to help me in any way with this project... i have offered a lot too from sponsorships (corporate sponsorship) to patenting rights if i do end up patenting this... this would even be a tax right off because it would be helping a school... and ordering the stinger would cost money that i don't have... unfortunately...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'd rethink patents.. All I have to do is change it 10% or have smittybuilt steal it and send it china.... Patents in the offroad industry are mostly used to threaten people with. It's extremely expensivto actually go to court over it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd rethink patents.. All I have to do is change it 10% or have smittybuilt steal it and send it china.... Patents in the offroad industry are mostly used to threaten people with. It's extremely expensivto actually go to court over it.
And expensive to get the patent in the first place if you have an attorney do the paperwork

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had an attorney who would help me through it and all but it doesn't matter anymore, the plan has fallen through due to lack of funding and i am probably about to have to sell my jeep anyways since I'm moving out on my own soon... thanks for the help and support anyways though!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts