Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 08 Wrangler with 25k on it. Has never lost a drop of oil between oil changes. Brother inlaw comes to me wanting to borrow my jeep to drive to Iowa from Oklahoma. The oil change is only 1500 miles toward the next but he goes to have it changed before the trip and it was down to a little over a quart in it. No leaks , no smoking and no loss of power at all. Where did it go all of a sudden. Is it possible they shorted it on the the fill on the last change (WalMart). I know I should have changed it myself or should have checked the level after the last change so don't blaze me to death. I have a life time warranty so it is going in to be checked when he gets back with it. A friend told me his dads 07 unlimited started using oil also. Anyone else heard of this happening.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I've been hearing about it for over 4 years-

It happens to MAINLY 07, some 08 and some 09 JK/JKUs --

I know my '08-INTIMATELY and it's still at 100% ops

I think you may have missed some indications/checks/been short changed-etc

I can't offer anything except you should stay a little closer to your property-

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
make sure you check it yourself given the flawless history....there was a big news deal a while back about some outfits 'short stroking' the dip stick to make it seem like you needed oil.....they'd sell you some....then a bit later down the road suddenly you're TOO full...which is another problem .....

·
Banned
764 Posts
Since brotherinlaw needs a jeep for long road trips, why don't you sell him yours (cash only, no way in hell do you finance him) and you can get a new one then he can worry about the oil, tires, tags, taxes, insurance, maintanece and so on, and you can worry about your owne!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Not to Blaze you, but, There are so many variables in you story. The first being WALMART, the second being BROTHER IN LAW. The third being ROAD TRIP. The fourth is that you seldomly check your oil level.

The only thing I would lend to my Brother in Law would be my old, dull, shovel.

I assume you have topped it off, will do the future changes yourself, keep an eye on it & stop loaning it out. I hope it all works out for you. Evidently some of these 3.8's are using a bit of oil.
Some guys are going to a 5-30 or 10-30 weight oil to combat the dissapearing oil. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You have to check it often. They could have shorted you but you also could be burning oil. Oil change at Walmart? Getting it changed anyplace else has to be better than there. I wouldn't let any of those fast food / big box store places touch my JK.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Here's another possibility:

on my OWN 08 oil changes: usually the oil is so clean the first 2500 miles or so it's hard to see on the stick...and could be overlooked because it's so clear.

....but I gotta agree with the Wrangler riders above...

and....'brother in law/long road trip'???....geez.....

·
Banned
764 Posts
They could of shorted it at the walmart change, or your jeep could of not been used to the (cough) brotherinlaws driving style, which could be vastly different then your own, and may of caused some oil usage. Maybe you didn't drive it much on long high speed drives. I would change it again and use 5w30 and monitor it from here on out. May be alright!

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
If it were my JK, I would not let ANYONE drive it until I confirmed whether I have a problem or not.
And I would not even allow myself to take it on any long distance trip until I confirmed it has no problems.
It has been my experience that family memebers are even less concrened about taking care of your belongings on loan to them than your close friends are.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I have taken my ass whippin. It will get tlc from me only and get a more frequent check. My question got answered between bashings that some jeeps are having this problem also. I have the lifetime warranty so if it drops a drop it's going in for warranty.
The jeep left town after the oil change without BIL calling me to tell me. A Walmart tech that was a family friend called me to tell me because it should not have lost that much oil in 1500 miles .

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Now that I have taken my ass whippin. It will get tlc from me only and get a more frequent check. My question got answered between bashings that some jeeps are having this problem also. I have the lifetime warranty so if it drops a drop it's going in for warranty.
The jeep left town after the oil change without BIL calling me to tell me. A Walmart tech that was a family friend called me to tell me because it should not have lost that much oil in 1500 miles .
Just be aware, that unfortunately, Chrysler states that it is acceptable to them if your engine uses (burns) 1 qt. of oil every 1,000 miles. More than that you have a claim; less you don't. I would closely monitor the oil usage if you have any at this point. Maybe Walmart plus brother-in-law equaled a perfect storm in this instance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got ahold of BIL today and had him check the oil after he got there. None used on the trip up so far he says. He is a pretty square guy who lets me store all my trailers, boats and in his barns for free. I hope Walmart was the cause of this. My friend says his dads 07 unlimited is using a quart to every tank and a half of fuel but Chrysler keeps telling him they can't find the reason. But that is just hear say. Mine gets home Friday and will be closely monitered.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
They burn it, it's been a known problem with those engines. You won't notice it because of all the Catalytic converters, they burn it up before it gets out the tail pipe. There is lots of info on the net about this exact problem. Google it, you'll see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts