Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it. They are installed. The "should I or shouldn't I" battle in my head is over. The constant "banging and cracking" of rocks flying from my tires has been replaced with a dull "thud" of them hitting the splash guards. It was really hard to find pictures of a stock JK with Mopar Splash Guards. After endless searches on multiple forums and Google in general, for the past few months, I promised myself that I would create a new thread that was easily searchable for anyone else pondering this decision. I know they are not for everyone, but I like them. I looked at GRD Products, Teraflex, Rugged Ridge, Husky, Homemade, Aries, etc, etc, etc. If you have any questions about the install, I would be happy to share my experience.

0826151718.jpg

0826151719.jpg

0826151719a.jpg

0826151719b.jpg

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My front ones go on as soon as the first snow fly's. I keep them off all other times.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I could've used some last weekend. Tire threw up a nice sized stone and chipped some paint off my front door of my new Rubi.

Ah well, won't be the last. :)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Not bad at all OP. They look quite good IMO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought them last winter for my HR. Took them off in spring (just to be cool) and soon after put them back on. They do save the doors from shooting debris. Unfortunately they don't Jeep doesn't make them for rear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My original plan was to cut off the splash guards and leave about 2 inches hanging down. After that I was going to custom cut some rubber mud flaps and attach them to the bottoms with stainless steel hardware. Most people don't like how rigid these are...even though I know they will bend and be ok. I just really like the look of old school rubber flaps. I will leave them like this for awhile. If I make any mods to them, I will post new pics.

·
Registered
188 Posts
^^^ OP,

I installed the fronts and love em. I did not install the rears b/c I understand you have to remove the rear wheels/tires to install them.

Was the rear flaps install a pain in the rear?

Tks/Jeep looks real good..:thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the wheels/tires off for each splash guard install. It just gave me more room and I don't mind getting the floor jack out. You just hold the rear guard up tight against the rear bumper and mark your holes that need to be drilled. I used a silver sharpie. I marked my holes then pulled the flap away and then held it back up again to make sure I wasn't off. Drilled the holes with the appropriate drill bit listed on the directions and installed the screws. Don't forget the bottom one. The only thing I didn't care for was knowing when to stop with the screw. The plastic doesn't give you a definite feeling of..."that's enough". Otherwise, easy install.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
I bought them last winter for my HR. Took them off in spring (just to be cool) and soon after put them back on. They do save the doors from shooting debris. Unfortunately they don't Jeep doesn't make them for rear.
I simply used the regular rear Mopar ones, on my back bumper. They fit, and the look is acceptable.

I have a couple of pics posted in some thread or two, here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, on the front splash guards, when you are drilling the new middle hole on the outer edge, hold the inner fender liner in place to that your drill bit doesn't lift it up. My screw hole barely made it into the plastic because the liner lifted which allowed my drill bit to wander closer to the edge than I would have preferred. My plan is the put a metal clip in there to fix that. Little things like that drive me nuts...in my own head.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Great tips for those installing them, and they look really good on your Jeep. :thumb:

Had to take mine off with the Mopar Hightop fender install, and already miss them.
Going to see if there is a way to mod them without looking hack, and put them back on. I only had the fronts on, but with the lift and big tires would like to put the rear ones on to keep from throwing a stone through someone else's windshield.

I've had them folded completely up tight against the rock rails going over rocks and ledges. The bottom edge of the lip is rough from the abuse, but unless I get up real close it's not noticeable. Haven't had a crease line form either. It's seems like pretty good plastic.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I put them on my 15 Rubicon the day I brought it home. I was in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago on some gravel trails and the Rubicon tires threw stones from the tread for 36 miles on the highway on the way home !!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anybody use these with tubular steps? Looking at my Quadratec 4" tube steps, it almost doesn't look like I can install them.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I just put the Front ones on my HR. Help me understand the Rears?
What are we protecting? I'm not being funny, maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rears help protect everyone else from getting a rock through their windshield. I had my Jeep for about 2 weeks and then got a nice rock into the windshield cracking it. I wish the other guy had something like this.

They look pretty good. The fronts look like they hang down pretty far. On a gravel road though these can save a lot of chips. I have a few on my doors which I wish I didn't have. Should have done this from day one. I wanted to hold out for an AEV rear bumper with mudflaps, but that will take some time. I should really just pull the trigger too.

Thanks for the post. I too looked quite a bit trying to find good photos of the mopar flaps.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
the rears help protect everyone else from getting a rock through their windshield. I had my jeep for about 2 weeks and then got a nice rock into the windshield cracking it. I wish the other guy had something like this.
+1

Courtesy to the those behind you, especially if you have "aggressive" tire treads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rears may prevent some rocks from being thrown, but as you can see from the picture, plenty of rocks can still fly out and hit someone's windshield. I just think it looks more complete with both fronts and rears installed. For pure function, you will get the most out of the fronts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just don't buy splash guards off Amazon from Center_Tech. Looks like a nice price ($72) but they are Chinese knock offs. Look closely at what appears to be e's in the word Jeep. I complained and they are refunding my money and I don't even have to return them.

image-2150874153.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts