Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a problem yet with my ball joints but I have been thinking of replacing them, from what little I have read, for the jeep there is a special tool....where can I get one, and how much are they. I replaced ball joints on a friends truck years ago, but I don't recall every pressing them in

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Ball Joint Press. They sell them on amazon. They usually come with a few different tubes that are used on common axles to press out the joint. The JK axle is a bit different and has an angled surface to press on so the simple presses with a couple tubes dont always work. Back when I had balljoints I used a buddies $300 press that came with dozens of tubes and even then we had to make due with a few other tools that were not intended for that purpose.

I used one similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6530-Ball-Joint-Super/dp/B000O1C396/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1448517311&sr=1-23&keywords=ball+joint+press

the truck you are referring to was probably a smaller IFS type truck, a half ton or a quarter ton. A lot of the time the balljoints actually bolt on the A arm. Ours are pressed into the knuckle.

you might be able to save some money by getting a cheaper balljoint press (the one I used on my F250 is only $40 on amazon, and this set of adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Master-Joint-Service-Adapter/dp/B008DGNLFY/ref=sr_1_22?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1448517311&sr=1-22&keywords=ball+joint+press

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Go to Autozone or Advanced auto and you can rent one free.

You give them a credit card, they'll charge you $100 or so, and when you return the tool, they give you your money back (credit the card).

Don't buy it.
I used their rental on my F250, It barely worked for that. I feel like the JK's balljoints would be too tall for it and the adapter tubes are all flat on the bottom.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I used their rental on my F250, It barely worked for that. I feel like the JK's balljoints would be too tall for it and the adapter tubes are all flat on the bottom.
Worked fine every time I've seen it used. Helped some friends change ball joints on TJs and JKs. I'll be doing this myself on my Rubi axle project. I see no reason to buy a tool that you will only use once every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They sell adapters for Jeep, I think my buddy paid like 85 bucks or something for his set. He used an impact to change his with those adapters and zipped them right out. New Synergy's zipped right in as well, took like 1.5 hours. I'm definitely getting a set for myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts