Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I installed a Warn VR8000 winch which states 650 CC needed. The stock battery is 600cc.
My question is do I really need to change the battery, I'm looking at getting an Optimum battery but after regearing adding bumper and winch my wallet needs rest lol.
I'm not running any aftermarket lights
Jeep is 2012 JKU only aftermarket electrical is rear Eaton E-Iocker didn't install front one and now winch.
Anyone have experience with stock battery and will the winch effect the life of the battery? Hoping to get through this summer then upgrade battery.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
I have been running my stock battery and VR10000 winch. I always leave the vehicle running when using the winch so far so good. 2014 jkur. I have used my winch a fair amount.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you go to an autoparts store they will test your battery and charging system. I don't know about all of them but Advance will give you a printout with the specs. Your battery might be stronger than advertised or weaker if it's older. I just bought an Everstart Maxx from Walmart for $100 that is rated at 660CCA but it tested at 777CCA. 3 year free replacement and prorated for 2 years after that. Great deal.

·
Banned
220 Posts
If you plan on using the winch, and if you are a serious off-roader, YES, upgrade your battery soon, otherwise, use your own judgement...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
We don't know the age or condition of your battery and with that said.....

If you are using your winch be sure to leave the Jeep running during winching operations and seldom us the switch to payout.

Someone in the group should carry a set of cables for jump starting. You know, it seems more starters go bad on the trail than batteries.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi, I installed a Warn VR8000 winch which states 650 CC needed. The stock battery is 600cc.
My question is do I really need to change the battery, I'm looking at getting an Optimum battery but after regearing adding bumper and winch my wallet needs rest lol.
I'm not running any aftermarket lights
Jeep is 2012 JKU only aftermarket electrical is rear Eaton E-Iocker didn't install front one and now winch.
Anyone have experience with stock battery and will the winch effect the life of the battery? Hoping to get through this summer then upgrade battery.
As long as the pulls aren't at full torque you should never reach 650 amps. My advice would be to use a snatch block and you'll never worry about excess current.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes agree with others, stock battery can get it done, but try and do short pulls and use a snatch block as much as
Possible . Idle engine up also. When I replace mine I'm going with the Odyssey Batt..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone I'm probably doing about 10 runs this year so hopefully battery will be fine until upgrade. Here season short and trails are all about 2 hours away.
When I store jeep for winter I'll upgrade next year
I'll get the battery tested good idea.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Also, turn off any accessories that aren't necessary during winching If light is needed try to use the light from another vehicle or flash lights.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Only time it may be a issue would be several long winch pulls in a very short time. Most people only use theirs for a short pull one or two times the entire run if that. Plus if there's a good size group you're sitting there charging your battery waiting your turn on the obstacle. As someone else mentioned starters are more of a issue. Mostly for us manual guys of course. It's taken me a while to realize what I do and do not need based on my usage and experience level instead of just modding for the heck of it. I say run what you got and upgrade if you identify a weakness in your set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts