Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added new shackles to my 2.5 inch lift. So right now I've got about 3in of lift. Should I get longer brake lines for when I disconnect my sway bar or will I be alright with the stock length lines. I disconnected the lines from the frame and it seemed to free up a little slack.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Yes. I have almost the same amount of lift. Disconnected the sway bar to test the flex on Metalcloak's trailer at Jeep Beach. Came real close to tearing the drivers side brake line off. I've had extended lines for a few months with no time to install. Now at the top of the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
When I had mine at 2.5" of lift I nearly popped the hoses without even flexing it... I put in stainless steel extended hoses. Now I have plenty of room.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes. I have almost the same amount of lift. Disconnected the sway bar to test the flex on Metalcloak's trailer at Jeep Beach. Came real close to tearing the drivers side brake line off. I've had extended lines for a few months with no time to install. Now at the top of the list.

Did you do any straightening of the lines before that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure what you're asking.

The hard lines are bent to fit the stock position, I was asking if you bent them any before you tested it?
I just installed a 2.5" kit that came with an extension mount so I don't have to install new brake lines. My front lines I could not get enough movement out of the lines to mount it in the lower position. I'm about to go a On trail ride this weekend and concerned about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
The hard lines are bent to fit the stock position, I was asking if you bent them any before you tested it?
I just installed a 2.5" kit that came with an extension mount so I don't have to install new brake lines. My front lines I could not get enough movement out of the lines to mount it in the lower position. I'm about to go a On trail ride this weekend and concerned about it.
My hard lines are in the original position. There were no brackets in the kit. I had not given the lines any thought, since I normally have the sway bar connected which limits the travel.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I got a little excessive with my brake lines/hoses. Factory they are mounted on the top of the frame rail. When I did my 2.5" lift, I did this:

1. I got extended hoses
2. I replaced all the lines and moved the hoses to the side of the framerail

Here is a photo. It is the only one I have in my Photobucket that shows the brake hose. It came with a hold down clip that you just secure with a sheet metal screw. The setup is at the very top of the photo.

I think they were 4-6" lift hoses. I now have 2.5" lift with a spring over axle lift that gives me about 6-7" of lift. The hoses fit perfectly but I'll have to see how much I will flex them out this Saturday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they were 4-6" lift hoses. I now have 2.5" lift with a spring over axle lift that gives me about 6-7" of lift. The hoses fit perfectly but I'll have to see how much I will flex them out this Saturday.[/QUOTE/]

How hard was it for you to remove your hard lines. Mine won't budge and the wrench just slips off them. I tried a spindle nut wrench but I can't get it around the nut because of the torx bolt that holds the bracket to the frame.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I replaced all hard lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts